Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Nissan sentra 5spd 1.8 that I would like to run at a lower rpm when cruising at 80mph. I sits around 3300 right now and seems to be using more fuel than when I am doing 73mph. I know fuel consumption will go up with speed but, the engine seems to have a sweet spot for economy at lower rpms 2500-3000. I have been watching my scangauge and feel a 5th gear change would help in this area. Any ideas on where to get the parts to change just 5th and not the entire gear for the trans? I thought about taller tires but that would affect all gears.

My mpg @ 75 is running right around 35 and I manage to squeeze 41 out of it on my non-stop computer to work around 60mph.

Is it safe to run this engine up at these rpms (3000-3400) for an hour or two at a time? To be safe, I run Mobil1 EP and pur one filter. Any other ideas? Thanks!

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
you're lucky to be getting that good of gas mileage. mine probably gets 15mpg on highway, so consider yourself lucky. the only way to make it lower is to change the gear ratio's, which isn't worth the time or money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other transmissions does this one share parts with? Any parts interchange? Are there any that would bolt up to the 1.8 engine?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,044 Posts
My mpg @ 75 is running right around 35 and I manage to squeeze 41 out of it on my non-stop computer to work around 60mph.
Keeping the car at the legal speed limit is your cheapest way to better MPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts