Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· freakish poster
1,551 Posts
You won't need a BJ separater. A good smack of the hammer on the female part (whatever you want to call it) of the BJ and it will fall right out. Remove that hub nut (30mm ???)Swing that hub assembly out of the way, tie it with wire so it won't swing back and interfere with your work, pry axle from trans with a big-ass screw driver, etc. (GENTLE!! You are dealing with an aluminum case). Reverse you just align splines, tap it into the trans (but don't hit the boot with your hammer) until the circlip is engaged.
Good times...

· freakish poster
1,551 Posts
Strut? You don't touch that and it doesn't apply here. I just meant to wire the hub assy out of your way for conviencence's sake, it is not necessary. As far as prying, just use common sense when dealing with aluminum and you'll be all right and it should snap right out. Oh forgot to add ...the hub nut might be almost impossible to remove witnout an impact wrench. I don't know but they are on real tight and rusty. Could be wrong as I've never done it by hand.

· freakish poster
1,551 Posts
Nope, you don't need any special tools to break apart the CV joint. Grasp the shaft and strike the edge of the joint and it should separate itself. However, you must be scrupulously clean when you clean and re-grease them. Also, they use different grease for the inner or outer joint---don't ask me why. It might be more cost effective (and easier) to wait until the boot splits and then just replace the shaft itself. (But don't wait for the boot to split open if you want to repace only the boot because once the joint is contaminated with dirt, forget it.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.