Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped engines...a 94 engine into a 92. I figured stuff would be the same..had to use my old brackets for AC and power steering. The Throttle body is different too.

Anyway, I pulled the speedometer cable out a bit by mistake when doing the swap. I never pulled the end out. It looked like only the outer cover pulled back. Now the speedo doesn't work. It sometimes will jump a few times up to about 15 but then die again.

Also, the temp guage will only go about 1/4" up from the cold end. It will get hot enough that the fans turn on, but the guage doesn't seem to be reading right. The temp sensor is on the head, just above the transmission-block bolts, right?

Any help with these problems would be appreciated...I'm working on the car now, but will check in now and then.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
There's two temp units. One if over on the passngers side of the engine towards the read, it plugs in near the AAC valve and pressure regulator. Then unit that sends to your gauge is the one on the drivers side just below the coil, in the head like you mentioned, it's just a spade terminal sticking out with a wire connected to it. About your speedo, I'd guess that you just need to push it in further. Which end did you pull out, the tranny end I'm guessing? I don't know because mine has an electronic speedo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the guage working. It was the sender on the driver side under the coil. It was bad. Haynes manual actually came in handy for something other than pictures for once!! It told me how to diagnose a bad sender. I then swapped it with the one on the old engine.

I still can't get the speedometer working. It was the trans end of the sheath that I pulled back from the trans...but I took it apart and reset that end in where it was supposed to be. I'm afraid it may be a problem with the other end at the dash.

Got any tips or thoughts on that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts