Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a 2002 nissan sentra spec v that is basically stock. I have a muffler and a shorter ram cold air intake. The car has 97,000 miles on it and i want it to go into the 14's. Nothing big so i am deciding to put nitrous on. What website do you all suggest, and how i need to go about doing this. I would like to just get a nitrous kit, run a 50 shot and be done with it. Is this possible???

·
Registered
790 Posts
You should be more worried about getting rid of your pre-cat and loctiting your butterfly screws

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting rid of my pre cat this weekend, and I'm not to worried about the screws. I just want a idea on what i should get. This is just a fun quick little project. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm getting rid of my pre cat this weekend, and I'm not to worried about the screws. I just want a idea on what i should get. This is just a fun quick little project. Any suggestions???
2002 was the worst year for the butterfly screws issue. Any name brand kit would suffice so long as it's a wet shot, NOT a dry shot. I suggest you do a compression check before messing with the nitrous just to make sure things are in order with your engine.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
NOS gives all that extra boost by releasing a huge amount of oxygen during combustion. Additional fuel is needed to maintain the proper fuel-to-air ratio. This is generally done with a specially modified ECU. The average cost is $400 and up depending on how much HP you're looking for. A 10 lb NOS bottle refill costs about $3 - $4 per lb of NOS; gets to be rather expensive if you have a lead foot. One full bottle will empty out after several full throttle runs in a 1/4 mile drag race depending on the setting. Power increases are around 50 HP on up according to the power kit that you use. You can install it yourself but be sure to follow the directions to the letter! NOS is very hard on engine components.

What's the difference between a wet system and a dry system for nitrous?

A wet system adds both nitrous and fuel in hopefully a correctly measured about for all rpms. A dry system just adds nitrous and lets the ECU do the mixing. The advantage to a wet system is you can go far above the fuel flow of the injectors when you add nitrous and you don't have to fiddle with the ecu programming and it's cheap. A correctly set up dry system can cost more, only works within the current injector flow (want more flow buy bigger injectors) and for best results the ECU should have a separate map for nitrous (basically pig rich).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotcha, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go with a dry shot. I can get a full nitrous system from enjected performance for 365 plus sh. I dont plan on going crazy with it. I was wondering though, do I have to buy that AFC air fuel controller, and can i just hook up the nitrous. I will get the controller later but for right now if i can get by with out it that would be great. I plan on only running a little 30 or max 50 shot.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Again, plz dont go with the dry kit. The dry kit relies on the maf and the fuel injectors to compensate for the extra air in the system. If the maf does not pick up the extra air, the injectors will not put extra fuel into the mix and you will run really lean. 02-03 MAFs are notorious for being weak.

As previously stated from "rogoman" . . . The advantage to a wet system is you can go far above the fuel flow of the injectors when you add nitrous and you don't have to fiddle with the ecu programming and it's cheap. . .

I doubt you have a way to "fiddle" with the ECU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the sniper fogger system. I read its not hard on your motor because its like a little fog of nitrous instead of a direct shot into the motor. Thoughts on this, because I'm getting a system ordered this friday so i have to make up my mind her soon.

Ace

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Rogoman basically explained it 100%

Id personally run a wet shot, much safer.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
I was looking at the sniper fogger system. I read its not hard on your motor because its like a little fog of nitrous instead of a direct shot into the motor. Thoughts on this, because I'm getting a system ordered this friday so i have to make up my mind her soon.

Ace
The Sniper fogger is a basic wet kit. However it's a cheaper version of the standard wet kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, thats why i wanted it, plus i heard that its safer on your car. This is because its a fog that goes into your engine instead of a direct shot into the motor. Is this wrong???

·
Registered
57 Posts
after reading this i tend to disagree with saint, i have ran a dry nitrous kit on my 04 spec. with absolutely no problems. the problem with dry is you cant rely on the stock fuel pressure, i ran an edelbrock dry nitrous kit. however, my kit had a nitrous pressure regulator that hooked up to the fuel pressure regulator via vacuum line. and what i had to do with mine is bypass the stock fuel pressure and put in an aftermarket bypass regulator with some new lines. the dry kit is actually better than the wet kit as long as you can increase the fuel pressure to accept the nitrous. in a wet kit the nitrous is actually sprayed right next to fuel nozzle which, if you ever cracked a pressurized nitrous line you realize how cold this stuff really is, the extreme cold could actually condense the fuel and cause it to stick to the sides of the intake causing detonation. i have heard many horror stories of this on a few cars so just realize that whatever you chose, nitrous is hazardous for motors but i would recommend doing as much research as you can and possibly invest in a wideband A/F gauge to be sure you dont run lean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts