Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Just got some guages. I tested them with a 12v source before actually installing them. And the problem is that the black box/resistor/"epicenter" is making this annoying ass noise. It's this high pitched ringing noise. Anyways, It's only there when it is on the color blue. Anybody have had problems with their gauges like this? and how did you fix it? Thanks

Wallace

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
That's how it works! My indiglo's and HVAC's do the same thing. It's because the black box is like a power transmitter constantly running voltage. If you touch your fingers on both wires, and the box, you will get a lil shock. Don't worry, your engine alone drowns the noise out!

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
Well...your black box in reality is not a transmitter. What it really is..is a power inverter. It takes DirectCurrent from the battery inverts it into AlternatingCurrent. The frequency generated by the AlternatingCurrent is so low that we can hear it with our ears. This means its around in the 1 to 10KiloHertzRange. If you use a volt meter and measure at the tip of the variable resistor then you will see that this is true. This is usually due to careless design or poor engineering.
Why did the electrical engineer do this? To annoy the people using them? NO of course not! Remember...things cost money!!! And good power inverter costs lots of money!!!! Check at Radioshack.com for a good power inverters that are plugged into your car they will run you about $50 and they are like humongous! You think people would pay $50 for a humongous power inverter for their indiglos or rather pay $10 bucks for the el cheapo crap power inverter???

There is only one way to fix this problem.!!!
NOTE:::****I do not recommend doing this unless you are an expert at engineering!!!!. Remember, you don't want to blow out those $60 dollar non-refundable indiglos you purchased. Or worse your car!!!!At least 4 years in electrical engineering school! is a must for something like this! And remember to remove the negative terminal of your car batteries and tape it down on the battery itself.

Anyways the frequency constant in electrical circuits is usually determined by 1/RC. So...instead of using a variable resistor to increase the current flow. Try switching it up for a variable capacitor. The value of the capacitor can be determined as follows. We want a frequency that the human ear cannot hear(30kHz). Therefore first turn the knob of the indiglos to maximum blue until you hear the noise. Then turn OFF the indiglos and measure the output resistance at the nodes of the resistor.
Then the Capacitor Value=(R*30kHz)^-1.

NOTE:***.I haven't actually tested this out myself either so I am not highly recommending it!

·
G14 CLASSIFIED!!!!
763 Posts
No Worries!

Love ya wallace! But it happenes when anything draws power. Like they said mount it behind the dash and no worries, Trust them dont touch it! I got the shit shocked out of me when I made that mistake after installing Jarreds indeglows....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts