Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I have an urgent need for answers regarding California emissions and catalytic converters.

I have a 1997 Nissan pickup whose catalytic converter was stolen a couple of days ago. There's a clean cut in the exhaust pipe where the cat. once was mounted. Apparently there's a cat. converter theft ring going around California these days for the platinum that resides inside.

I've looked and called around for information about a replacement cat. and most places tell me this is a dealer only item. To me that means big bucks for a replacement. Legally, as I understand it, since I live in the Peoples Republic of California, I am required to replace this cat with a California compliant cat. Does this sound correct?

Here's my issue: the truck is not worth a ton of money.

1) Can I replace the cat. with a universal fit, 49 state cat that is OBD II compatible?

2) Will the truck run OK with this cat or will the existing Ca. emissions hardware cause the truck to run rough?

3) Will it pass smog with this Cat.?

A universal, 49 state, OBD II cat. runs about $90-$100 versus $300-$400 for a direct fit OEM cat.

The truck has just been smogged so it's good for another 2 years. If it won't pass smog with this cat., I can work around this.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
3,553 Posts
Is anything other than the main exhaust in-and-out hooked to the cat? I'd say a generic high-flow would be fine. Lots of people have them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know what size inlet/outlet or shape (round vs oval) will work for a '97 pickup? Manufacturer/model #? Thanks again.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,146 Posts
Here's my issue: the truck is not worth a ton of money.

1) Can I replace the cat. with a universal fit, 49 state cat that is OBD II compatible?

2) Will the truck run OK with this cat or will the existing Ca. emissions hardware cause the truck to run rough?

3) Will it pass smog with this Cat.?
1 - No.

2 - It'll run OK.

3 - Most likely it will not. All California CATs must be CARB compliant above and beyond the Federal EPA rating. This means that a California CAT uses a high density core making it more expensive.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm using a Magnaflow/Carsound 2.25" with air injection port on my 86.5 Z24i, headers and custom 2.25" exhaust tubing with a 14" Magnaflow muffler!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ahh the Z24....how I miss that engine and my truck!!! (1985 720 "ST"). I could only imagine it with a custom exhaust and hey, even a stick shift!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I left the San Diego area 20 years ago. That's the one thing I DON'T miss, California smog equipment sucking the HP outta vehicles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 - No.

2 - It'll run OK.

3 - Most likely it will not. All California CATs must be CARB compliant above and beyond the Federal EPA rating. This means that a California CAT uses a high density core making it more expensive.
LMAO, California is the 50th state, it's work in the OTHER 49.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts