Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 sentra which I lowered.I used weapon-r coilovers and kyb gr2 struts/shocks.The problem I'm having is when I turn the wheel I get a clanking noise coming from the springs.It is definitely the springs because you can see them binding when I turn the wheel.Also if I turn left after I straighten out the car it will pull left and same thing with the right.Someone told me that it is the strut mount and/or bearing.Does anybody know anything about this?If so i would appreciate any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
clinton said:
I have a 97 sentra which I lowered.I used weapon-r coilovers and kyb gr2 struts/shocks.The problem I'm having is when I turn the wheel I get a clanking noise coming from the springs.It is definitely the springs because you can see them binding when I turn the wheel.Also if I turn left after I straighten out the car it will pull left and same thing with the right.Someone told me that it is the strut mount and/or bearing.Does anybody know anything about this?If so i would appreciate any help

i dun think its ur springs, if anything its the strut, when i had helped one of my friends lower his eclipse we had a very similar problem, 1st we forgot the order the parts stacked up....so thats one possibility, 2nd possibility is to take the spring and strut off and see if the rubber stopper move from its position on the strut....and lastly, the main problem was the plastic cover for the strut wasn't put on, which caused the rubber stopper to move. ....

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
i think it has to do with the cheap coilovers and struts. The GR-2 where not designed to be used in lowered vehicles due to the fact that it cannot maintain proper rebound and control characteristics with higher spring rates. Im sure the spring rates on the "coilivers" are probably unknown. Try switching to AGX's or Koni's. Also the sound it the springs are binding is that the rubber on the strut mounts might have come out of place. Take the stetup and double check to make sure it was put together properly. BTW this should be in Suspension forum. :cheers:

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Its because you removed the pillow mounts on top of the old strut assembly. It is a bearing that help keep the spring from binding. I bet when you turn left your car pulls to the left, and when you turn right your car pulls to the right? You can either buy some pillow mounts from Tein, or somehow remove the spring perch off of the stock ones and use them with your coils.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
clinton said:
Did you forget to put the strut bearings in? The OE Nissan one is a little black plastic disc which is pretty easy to lose/forget about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is the strut bearings. I had the same problem with my Tein Basics, and come to find out i forgot to put them on. Me= dumbass

·
Registered
12 Posts
It might be the top of the strut like everyone seems to be agree on. however, i wouldn't run those coilovers on that car, that's a problem in and of it'self. Ditch em, they are nothing but trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts