Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 97 PF. It was a manual transmission and I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was on the winter highways road trips. Part of the road is icy and part isn't. You can't put it in 4 wheel and go at normal driving speeds with the manual trans. Now I understand that for the 2002 - 2004 models, you have all-road 4 wheel on the automatics but you can't do that with the manual trans? Can someone clarify that diff regarding 4 wheel and the various modes for these model years?

I like the control of the manual but prefer the full mode 4 wheel. The other consideration is I will be using the PF to do some hauling (summer only). I know the auto has more torque but I'll likely be doing some of the performance upgrades in the sticky at the start of this section (cams, etc). I had replaced the cams and exhaust in my 97.

Which one to buy? Automatics are a lot easier to find than the standards.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The all-mode 4WD is a handy thing to have. That said, on city roads in the winter I usually just leave it locked in 4Hi... handles that much better, *especially* on the side streets. Fellow Edmontonians will know what I'm talking about.

Highway, I'll pop it onto auto and let 'er rip.

It's my belief that 4Hi locks the center differential into a 50/50 split, whereas auto varies the power to the front wheels between 0% and 50% depending on slippage.

The Pathy in 4Hi and all seasons handled winter roads about as well as a 2WD car with winter tires. Can't wait to see what it's going to be like next winter when I get some winter tires for the Pathy... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The all-mode 4WD is a handy thing to have. That said, on city roads in the winter I usually just leave it locked in 4Hi... handles that much better, *especially* on the side streets. Fellow Edmontonians will know what I'm talking about.

Highway, I'll pop it onto auto and let 'er rip.

It's my belief that 4Hi locks the center differential into a 50/50 split, whereas auto varies the power to the front wheels between 0% and 50% depending on slippage.

The Pathy in 4Hi and all seasons handled winter roads about as well as a 2WD car with winter tires. Can't wait to see what it's going to be like next winter when I get some winter tires for the Pathy... :)
Thanks for the clarification. We usually use ours primarily for highway driving out to the mountains during summer and winter.

You'll love your PF when you put on the winter tires. I had winter duelers on my 97 and in 4Hi, it was go anywhere, no sliding, Awesome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts