Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am working on a 1998 Nissan Altima the engine is turning but the car wont start. I have replaced the fuel pump, crank sensor and the distributor and still nothing. The battery is good as well. What else could be the problem?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
3 things needed for an engine to start:
air
fuel
spark
are you getting the last 2?
how did you confirm it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting fuel and spark. I confirmed the fuel by changing the fuel pump and removed the fuel line and the pressure was ok. Confirmed the spark by removing the wires and trying to crank the car and the sparks where there. I believe I am getting air because it should go automatically to the car, yes? If not how do I confirm the air?

Also if the air is confirmed what other sensors or anything should I be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
when i say, "air" i mean air as in compression. compression is usually not the culprit as even a car with low compression will still start.
you replaced the distributor so im going to assume the internal coil is working. have you checked all fuses in the fuse box under the hood?
next, i want you to crank for about 5-10 seconds and then pull the plugs and check for wetness. they should be wet from fuel if youre getting enough fuel. also, check the mass air flow sensor and pull the codes from the ecu.
if you dont know how to pull the codes, i can post up the directions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I checked the fuses their fine. I also plugged the plugs today and checked for wetness and they are so I'm getting enough fuel. I also took some carb spray and sprayed the trottle body and the car acts as if it wanted to start but did not. I replaced the air flow sensor today and still nothing. Also here are the codes you asked me to pull from the air flow sensor

226809E000

JA36610

GA1

Thanks for helping

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
actually i need the trouble codes from the ecu.
its a very simple process and auto zone can do it for free,
but since you cant drive the vehicle, you need to pull the codes yourself.
Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical
follow the 95-99 directions.
the ecu is located behind the plastic cover thats to the right
of your gas pedal. once you pull that cover,
youll see a clear plastic sticker shield on the side of the ecu,
you need to pop a hole in it if there isnt one already. behind that sticker is a little screw.
thats the diagnostic screw that you are going to turn. do not force it
when it stops, its very easy to break.
the flashes theyre telling you to note can be seen via the check engine light
on your dash.
retrieve those codes and post them here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) I figured it out I did not have time to check the message befoe I did this but I put a computer in from another care and it started.

Thanks for your help Asleep.

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
cool! good to hear. checking the codes would have also told you the computer was bad.
glad you got it fixed. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I will keep that in mind for next time. I must have spoken to fast I did a test drive and now the car is shaking when you completely stopped as if it want to cut off :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts