Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed."

I've read some topics about oils in here but couldn't find any about this 1. So what do you think about it? I'm about to change my oil and would like to try it out but i don't really trust it! Will this synthetic oil really do fine for 15k miles? Experts PLEASE help. Thanks.

P.S.
Where can i get a cheaper K&N filters w/ adapters? thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Lab analysis of the new Mobil oils show they have a lot more boron in the formula ... both a cleaner and an anti-wear agent.

Good stuff.

But 15,000 miles? I wouldn't.

I wouldn't go over 8,000 miles regularly without insight from UOAs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I agree, i will probably keep it for 7-9 month, still sounds a good deal for $24 of full synthetic for that long of a period.

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
AK_47 said:
Where can i get a cheaper K&N filters w/ adapters? thanks.
I dont normally suggest eBay, but a WAI is actually a good first mod, considering the time and money spent. The best bet is to get the cheapest adapter (with cheapo filter) and a K&N from Advance or Autozone. Place an ad in the 'Want to Buy' section and ask for the adapter. Hell, some members with CAI's would give you their old WAI adapters if you pay shipping. I will as soon as I get mine (1 week?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
synthetic oil is not great for your car unless you are doing some major boosting... synthetic is much thinner than conventional. all the mechanics i have ever talked to said they see a lot more oil leaks than conventional oil for the simple fact its thinner

·
Registered
941 Posts
"Synthetic oil is not great for your car unless you are doing some major boosting..."

I generally agree. Modern Group II and II+ oils will protect just as good as synthetic oil for the first 3,000-4,000 miles, depending on the application. For modest oil use intervals, you'll probably only see a difference in really cold weather.

"Synthetic is much thinner than conventional."

Mobil 1 is thinner than most conventional oils ... but thinness/thickness is determined by the various weights ... 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, etc ... And of course synthetics are thinner (flow better) at colder temps.

"All the mechanics I have ever talked to said they see a lot more oil leaks than conventional oil for the simple fact its thinner."

Nope, it's probably not because Mobil 1 is a little thinner (Red Line, Amsoil, German Castrol and a few others are actually a bit thicker). Early PAOs used to leach plasticizer out of seals ... but current synthetics use additives (esters and others) to balance this effect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts