Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 sentra with GA16DE and 5spd. The tranny just went with 205,000 miles. I could have it rebuilt, but I would rather get one from a junkyard. I am having a hard time finding a tranny from a b13. Will any other year model trannys bolt right up? I have searched the forum but havent found a definite answer. Thanks for all your help,
Frank

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm pretty sure just about any GA16DE tranny should work, but I'm not comepletely sure. I've never tried it

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
broke91 said:
I have a 91 sentra with GA16DE and 5spd. The tranny just went with 205,000 miles. I could have it rebuilt, but I would rather get one from a junkyard. I am having a hard time finding a tranny from a b13. Will any other year model trannys bolt right up? I have searched the forum but havent found a definite answer. Thanks for all your help,
Frank
Frank, where do you live? i know where their is a bunch of them for the 1.6 B13.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Bedford, Tx. Inbetween Dallas and Fort Worth. I have found a few and I have gotten quotes of 350 to 585. Some of these guys tell me that a 97 model will fit but some tell me that only 91 and 92 with the vin # starting with 1N. I am not sure exactly where I stand. I have only gone through a little over half of the junk yards in the phone book. Tomarrow I will continue my search for the piece. All rebuilds are telling me at least 300 if I bring in the tranny.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
the b13 trany uses a cable for the speedo, the b14 an electrical sender for speedo, other than that the b14 should work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dude, my tranny just went out, and it only had 78,000 on it, i also raced the piss outa it, which i'm positive killed it early. BUT i bought the GA15DE tranny from japan, thru tarco trasmissons, which is a far better tranny then the one for the GA16, and is 10 times better then getting one from the junkyard, and its not that much more. mine was 650 bucks, it only had 30,000 miles on it and it was rebuilt and the gears fortified my tarco, there the best place for trannys, there in sacramento tho. it has better gear ratios and a lower final gear so that 5th gear is useable in racing sittuations. when i had the tranny put in i also had a 4 puck stage4 racing clutch put in, and a unorthadox flywheel. all i can say is oh good lord. i burn out thru 3rd, and get scratch in 4th. i'm telling you, the j-spec is the way to go, its a little bit more, but it will last longer and you'll be much happier with the results.

·
Registered
393 Posts
that's interesting.... i would like to swap out my slushbox for a stick, but maybe after i get out of school next year... im so glad i live in CA

·
Registered
37 Posts
a 91-92 model sentra uses a speedometer cable, a 93-94 sentra doesn't!

also the automatic trannys for these two year groups are completely different. i think the manual ones are fine, just make sure you change the ECU also. that will probably be a problem if you swap to a different year tranny than 91-92

·
Registered
82 Posts
hey i'm not sure on the whole early 90's sentras, i have a 98, but i would think that the j-spec GA15 would fit, you might have to custom fab some stuff, but thats hald the fun! haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts