Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure you get this question alot but i would appreciate your input. I'm thinking of buying this and was wondering what you all thought ? The car drove really nicely except the breaks squeeled a bit but they said they would take care of that. I'm looking for a reliable fuel efficient car. The carfax report i ran on it checked out fine. 2 owners that seemed to take good care of it because the interior was in good condition. Asking price is 4444$ after acquisition fee. Anything i should look for next time i check this car over ? I'm really new to the world of cars.

Oh, and what is exactly is the diff. between LE XE SE GXE etc.
Thanks in Advance
Dave

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
If I were you, I'd find an SE-R for sale. You can get one for under $3500 most of the time. The SE-R comes with the 2.0l SR20DE, with 140HP and is easier to modify if you're into that sort of thing. Also, they have cooler interiors :) .

The E, XE, GXE, LE, SE, and SE-R are all just trim differences, with the E being the ultra-stripped-down base model and the SE-R being the little rocket.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bad deal....

hey there...

that is way way too bad a deal...u can get much better nissans with that amount of money...if u want it offer for around $3000 or less...about what else to check...well look under the car and make sure there isnt any rust...also look around for any joints that have been welded (this is to make sure that the car wasn't joined apart with another after an accident or anything)....check the engine and make sure the belts and hoses are okie and that the engine runs smoothly...im sure u can hear and figure that out...if there is anything that worries u....then just back away from the deal...

with autotrader u can find much better basic sentras with same specs but lower price...

good luck! ;)

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I'll sell you mine for $2500. :) Mine's a '93 XE 2 door 5 speed with A/C, Airbag, 98K miles. They're asking WAY too much. You could buy one sweet SE-R for that much money. I'm buying one this weekend for $3500 and it's mint. Something to look at is the outer C-V joints, they're notorious for splitting. The brakes will always squeal, so don't sweat that. If you're into autos and don't want a stick there are two SE-R's with autos for sale at Autotrader. And both are less than $4K asking price. I don't know where you're located, but one of them was in Kansas City. Here's one

Search under SE-R for the model, or just search under Sentra and set your distance to ANY and you'll get 20 pages of them. Takes awhile to sort through but there's others in there. I'm surprised, but that car has really high book value, it's definately a nice 4 door. Problem is that it won't retain that value. My car has dropped about $500 a year in value since I bought it and I've not put a lot of miles on it. That might not be much respectively, however, considering the car is worth half of what it was when I bought it, that's a pretty significant percentage. Private party price for that car is right about $4K. So if you can get it close to that number you'd be getting a decent price. I just wouldn't buy it because it's a 4 door, it's an auto, it's NOT and SE-R, and it's priced high enough that a person could buy a cream puff SE-R with that much. That's my opinion though and I have different priorities and whatntot.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, pretty much, if i could get them to drop the price to around 4k it wouldn't be a bad deal ? Or is that still too much. I'm not really looking to do any racing or anything like that so i think an SE-R(although they are mighty tempting) isn't really the right car for me. I may want to add a couple of bolt-ons or somethin', but nothing to make it fly or anything. I'm mainly looking for good gas mileage and reliability. A stick and/or 2 door would have been nice but all the ones i went to look at were already sold.
On the B14's, i think the B13's look sooooo much nicer, the B14's are too rounded IMHO.
You all have been great help and i appreciate that.

Thanks Again
Dave

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I like B13's the best as well Dave. It's all relative, nobody but you can decide what's right for you and how much you should pay for it. I bought my '93 XE in December '99 for $4250 and it had 82 or 84K miles on it. My brotehr in law thought I could have bought a '90-'91 Camaro for less than that. But I didn't want a Camaro. Now I'm selling that Sentra with 98K now for $3000 not going less than $2500 and buying a '93 SE-R with 94K miles for $3500. However I'm driving 6 hours to get it and spending a weekend on the trip. Obviously you're not desiring to take a road trip to buy a Nissan Sentra, and the majority of people would feel the same way. You gotta do what's right for you. So good luck on finding a car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you kidding me! The se-r drives better, has more options and looks better. You shouldn't pay anything over 3000 for that car you are asking about, but you are crazy not to spend that money on an se-r. You don't have to mod and race an SE-R just because you have one.

Brent

Face2Face said:
So, pretty much, if i could get them to drop the price to around 4k it wouldn't be a bad deal ? Or is that still too much.
Thanks Again
Dave

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you have a good point there, i may drive up and see an SE-R 'cause theres one in Tulsa which is only like a 2 hour drive. I'll see what i can drop this car down to first.

toolapcfan, i don't blame you for not wanting a camaro, i don't understand why alot of people do.

Oh, and on the driving thing, i wouldn't mind taking a road-trip to Kansas City, but i'm 17 and don't have a car (a friend backed into mine and totaled it).

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i ended up buying it despite the fact that it was a bit too high. It was the only thing i could find locally in my price range that was in good condition and i needed a car pretty soon. People around here i guess don't treat their cars very well. I really love driving this little car though and am happy with my purchase.

Thanks
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts