Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to cars so I apologize but I'm trying to figure whats going on with my car or what the possible issues could be... It seems to have a problem starting... Lately its just taking longer to start maybe like 5 seconds more or less and you can hear the Rrrrrr sound as the engin is turning the whole time before then you could sometimes hear metal scaping sound when you start the car and usually when that happens the car has weird shifting issues... Before that I had to replace the alternator cuz the car stoped starting all together and we had to check the battery as well which was completely fine after replacing the alternator the car started up great the first time around after that it started as I stated before. The shifting issues usually tend to be from when i change to overdrive it will shift maybe 5 or 6 times from 45 or 50mph to 70mph and when i maintain a speed of lets say 70mph the rpms will go up and down and you can feel the gear shift back and forth not hugely noticeable but noticeable nonetheless. When i hear the metal scraping sound while starting usually the car has problems shifting before i hit overdrive and wont want to shift into overdrive. It will take longer to accelerate and rpms will go higher showing the engine is working harder. when not pushing gas it moves slower then normal to I will have to pull over and restart the car without that metal scraping sound to get it started and accelerating like normal... I know I should just have a mechanic take a look but I lost my job and I'm a student who really can't afford much if I can look at the issue or maybe find repair manuals online and be able to fix the issue myself with a little (or alot) of research that would be great. I'm pretty smart when it comes to things like that so it should be fine i hope as long as i have necessary tools to figure everything out. Hopefully someone can help me I need my car for school and work its a necessity or i might as well go live in the streets trying to sell dope cuz i have no family or friends to help me out... =/ thanks to anyone who might be able to offer assistance in the matter.

-Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please i'm really desperate everything i have is riding on getting this car to work... maybe i could take out a loan to get it check but i have no credit and still need to find a job... I dont want to be on the streets... please...

·
Registered
150 Posts
ok

the metal scraping is just a heat shield having nothing to do with your transmission problem, most every 240 has that noise it happens to mine at 2 thousand rpms about.

but your Automatic transmission is having problems obviously you need to see a mechanic soon and get a job kid.

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
have you checked the fluid?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,022 Posts
While driving the car at normal highway speeds, if it has a tendency to jump out of OD and then back in, that generally indicates a TPS problem. The TPS has an electrical resistance strip inside that has a bad spot on it. If you have access to an ohm meter, you then determine if indeed there is a bad spot; if so, the TPS cannot be repaired. You'll have to get a new unit from a Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts