Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to compare my 4G16 to the GA16DE... does anyone have or can get the boreXstroke, rod ratio, combustion chamber design (pent, wedge, etc) canshaft lobe separation, lift and camshaft drive type (chain or belt)

They both make similar power

4G16 makes 101HP and 110 FT Lbs
GA16 makes what 110 Hp and 106 ft lbs I think

the 4G16 was designed in 1968 and uses a 2bbl carb and SOHC, (and is a hemi) yet it makes very similar power. I want to know why this is by doing a comparison of numbers.

Can anyone supply them or point me to where I can get this type of information?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
From the B14 FSM:
GA16DE
Bore(mm): 76.0
Stroke(mm): 88.0
Deck height(mm): 214 (Center of crank to deck)

Cam Lobe Separation: 12*

Connecting Rod:
Center distance(mm): 140.5

Compression Ratio: 9.9:1

That's all I could find.

Lew

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I see that my haynes indicates a timing chain! Very nice, I hate belts.

Excellent! Now I will compare... :thumbup:

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
Jed118 said:
And I see that my haynes indicates a timing chain! Very nice, I hate belts.

Excellent! Now I will compare... :thumbup:
im not sure that youll like these ones as the chain tesioners tend to go out and need to be replaced every so often

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww, yeah that's what I think happened to my 4G16 after 350,000 Km and YEARS of abuse. I first used this engine when I was 16, then it travelled with me into my current Pony. I didn't change the oil in it or nothing, for 2 years it sat, and one day I started using it and it lasted a month before the engine simply would not start anymore. Im willing to bet teh timing chain jumped a few teeth... can I expect this in the GA16?

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Jed118 said:
Aww, yeah that's what I think happened to my 4G16 after 350,000 Km and YEARS of abuse. I first used this engine when I was 16, then it travelled with me into my current Pony. I didn't change the oil in it or nothing, for 2 years it sat, and one day I started using it and it lasted a month before the engine simply would not start anymore. Im willing to bet teh timing chain jumped a few teeth... can I expect this in the GA16?
The tensioners are supposed to last an average of 100k miles. A chain jumping teeth is possible but is rarely heard of with the GA16. As long as your tensioners are good and the teeth on the sprockets are good you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Mitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts