Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend lost the chimes in here car today along with the radio. I checked the audio and the elect parts fuses and they were both good. I have 12v acc, but not the 12v constant at the deck. The outward path off the fuse for the elect parts has 12v. I decided to add in an external 12v source through the radio and everything works....

So somehwere between the fuse block and the chimes box or radio we have lost 12v constant.....anyone with a manual? would love some input or ideas.

For the time being and probably for good, I have wired in a new 7.5 amp fuse from the 12v constant in the steering column to the radio and all is good. I'd like to find the real problem though.....

·
Registered
323 Posts
baldylox said:
My girlfriend lost the chimes in here car today along with the radio. I checked the audio and the elect parts fuses and they were both good. I have 12v acc, but not the 12v constant at the deck. The outward path off the fuse for the elect parts has 12v. I decided to add in an external 12v source through the radio and everything works....

So somehwere between the fuse block and the chimes box or radio we have lost 12v constant.....anyone with a manual? would love some input or ideas.

For the time being and probably for good, I have wired in a new 7.5 amp fuse from the 12v constant in the steering column to the radio and all is good. I'd like to find the real problem though.....
Was anything added in between working and not, the 12 volt constant that the radio is on is a fused link and will blow if too much is stuck on, the 12 volt on the ignition harness however isn't, running straight from that isn't horrible but then agian it isn't fixing what might be a serious electrical problem, or might be just a short, did you check the fuses under the hood as well? it's odd that that the fuse has power going out but when it shows up at the deck it does, how did you test this? Did you just see if the deck would turn on or stick your voltmeter in the harness? is the fuse on the deck good or is it not an aftermarket deck? as far as the chimes box, call me stupid and it may just be 12:30 but i have no idea what your refering to.

F

·
0 Posts
make sure you replace all the fuses it could be even if they aren't blown. you'll occasionally find fuses that just stop working. also check any engine bay fuses. i'm not real familar with my car's electircal yet. i haven't had it long enough nor have i done anything to it yet. but unless you changed something or have a rodent problem under your dash, wires usually just don't quit working.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on all counts guys. I used my dvm and a signal injector to trouble shoot. I just installed my gf's new projectors and while reconnecting the battery....small little zap across the nodes.

I did replace every fuse and checked all of them under the hood by the battery. I initially thought it was just the stereo when Iw as testing. There was no ground on the harness. Then I realized that Nissan used the chassis as the ground and moved on. I disconnected the yellow (12v) constant on the deck side and connected it through a jumper to acc 12v orange to see if it would turn on....it did and so did the chimes. So next step, I used the signal probe to send in 12v on the yellow line and the chimes came on, but no radio, as the wires are still disconnected.

Knowing the voltage was on the outside of the fuseI tried to get behind the fuse block to test and follow the wires.....holy shit....there was a big bundle. I decided to try and find the chimes box. Found it. Too many wires on it too. Opened it to see if anything look burnt or melted....no.

So somewhere after the fuse block and back to the chimes box I'm losing 12V. funny thing is, that the only thing effected is the chimes and radio. All the other functions on that fuse are good.

so like I said, Ijust added a new 7.5 inline under the column for the 12v constant and connected that to the yellow on the radio harness and all is good.

Sorry this is so long, but it is hard to explain when everyone trouble shoots a different way.

Omega - the chimes is the noise you hear for seta belts, lights on w/ no key and when the door is open. It is a little black box located under the dash to the left of the big yellow wrapped cable behind the stereo system.

·
Registered
323 Posts
baldylox said:
Omega - the chimes is the noise you hear for seta belts, lights on w/ no key and when the door is open. It is a little black box located under the dash to the left of the big yellow wrapped cable behind the stereo system.
I just call those warning tone, I guess I didn't know chimes was the correct term :) big yellow wrapped cable, also known as dangerous air bag cable do not touch heh

F

·
0 Posts
do you have a test light that can test for 12v+ or 12v-. like one that lights up red for 12v+ and green for negative? check to see if the constant is resting on ground. also check to see if it's supposed to. if it does it with the key on it's definetly a short. you can do it with a multimeter but i like the test lightsbetter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts