Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago, I ordered the JWT-cams for my GA16DE...
Nothing wrong with the cams themselves, but the intake-cam bolt was too short!
I found out (too late) that this was caused by the "spacer" (found in the American version of the GA16).:confused:
But I`m a bit confused because:
I think the spacer is 3cm long.
The intake-cam is obviously deeper than the exhaust-cam...
What`s the point of all this!?
So if I had an "American" bolt, it would stick out, wouldn`t it!?:confused:
Because of the "spacer" I dont have in my engine!(It`s not space for it (the spacer) inside of my engine either b.t.w.)

So what do you all think of my problem?

Greetings,
Primera P11 Si 98` owner from Norway!;)

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Our GA16DEs have VTC on the intake cam, which is probably what you are talking about. I know most European GA16DEs did not come with VTC. If that is the case, you might have to get a spacer made, or find an alternative bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our GA16DEs have VTC on the intake cam, which is probably what you are talking about. I know most European GA16DEs did not come with VTC. If that is the case, you might have to get a spacer made, or find an alternative bolt.
I`ve thought of that, but as I wrote; there`s no room for a spacer in my block...:/
At first I thought I just needed an American bolt...
But maybe I just need a custom-made bolt...:confused:

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
how about some pictures ?
I believe some of our UK member have writen about this before.. try searching.

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Yeah, our cam cover has a nice cutout in it for the VTC apparatus, while your cam cover most likely doesn't. I suppose someone could ship you a US cam cover (wouldn't be very expensive I don't imagine) and a VTC apparatus (not sure what it is actually called). Without the necessary solenoid, I'd imagine it wouldn't do any damage attached to the cams since they are designed for it to be included on them. But, getting a custom bolt would most likely be much cheaper. I've never dealt with that issue myself, but I have worked on non-VTC GA16DEs back in the UK, and many components were different and unfamiliar to me. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
So are you an ex-brit as well ??

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Not an ex, we just moved to the US a few years back. We moved from Woking to Bristol, then to Dorchester (yeah, sheep) and then across the pond. My father works for DAFRA, and he is working in conjunction with the US Department of Agriculture and Conservation. Nice pay rise, that's about it. I could get some real cool stuff, too bad shipping is pricey! Still a citizen, but I do have US residency. My brother works in conjunction with the RAF repairing jets, and owns a salvage yard in Newport on the side.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I was born in Uk and came over to the US when i was 28 !!
American citizen for many years now.
Newport as Virgina ?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
OK, yes I know Newport in wales. had uncle that used to live there.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
RE: the Non VTC cars, I believe there is a space for it in the valve cover but nothing there, and a spacer that was referred to.
Someone did post pictures of this, if i get time i will try and find....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does removing the shim on the JWT cam help? It is only on the intake cam...

Otherwise I am with Ian, use US VTC parts might work. What does JWT have to say about this? They should have some insight.

It seemed like JWT didn`t have any suggestions for the problem at first...
Maybe I should ask them again, but I want to try a different approach first:
Find a wrecked car - take out the identical bolt - give it to some people who can make a new, longer one - and replace it...! ;)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
don't have a bolt made, this is probably a grade 8 bolt, just remove yours, measure the thread and length, the markings on the head will tell you the grade, and buy a new one the right length. And grade.
Make sure you have enough length to screw into the cam the right number of turns....
Count the number of turns on yours when you remove the bolt if you have to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
don't have a bolt made, this is probably a grade 8 bolt, just remove yours, measure the thread and length, the markings on the head will tell you the grade, and buy a new one the right length. And grade.
Make sure you have enough length to screw into the cam the right number of turns....
Count the number of turns on yours when you remove the bolt if you have to.
Allready checked a number of bolts...
I`ve checked the length, and lets say they make sizes: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8... Then this bolt is 7+1/2 or something...!:(
+ that the bolt is getting thinner at the end...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts