Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NOt only a customer...
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to do it tomorrow.. but i know its a long shot
for anyof you guys to help me, however..

what are the tools and any suggestions or
recommendations and precautions that i should do to
have a successful install. TIA.

ps these are the GTIR cams i think. hehe.. but i know
i got them from a friend that used to have them on his
car. anywhoot.. anyhelp would be apreciated..

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Sr20kidD said:
I wish to do it tomorrow.. but i know its a long shot
for anyof you guys to help me, however..

what are the tools and any suggestions or
recommendations and precautions that i should do to
have a successful install. TIA.

ps these are the GTIR cams i think. hehe.. but i know
i got them from a friend that used to have them on his
car. anywhoot.. anyhelp would be apreciated..
GTI-R cams are mechanical and won;t work well, hardly any power and real rough idle, rapid valvetrain wear.

Mike

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
Juan,

Get your GTi-R cams and use it to whack Danny in the head for giving /selling it to you :D

Tevs

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
I've got a question abou this.
Are SR's tollerant of using "used" cams?
I am thinking that since the cams were "worn in" on another valvetrain and your valvetrain was "worn in" on another set of cams, that they may not "wear in" so well together. You have to remember that I am used to domestic truck motors that dont like a mis-match of valvetrain components. Unfortunatly this is one area of imports that I am "lacking" a little bit.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
You will find that unless you have an oiling problem there is no big deal with using used cams on a different car. you can get the same if not better gas milage and it won't wear your components the way you would think your previous experience would

good luck, get a maintaince manual and remember the valve cover is in/lbs NOT ft/lbs

O

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
onyxeros said:
You will find that unless you have an oiling problem there is no big deal with using used cams on a different car. you can get the same if not better gas milage and it won't wear your components the way you would think your previous experience would

good luck, get a maintaince manual and remember the valve cover is in/lbs NOT ft/lbs

O
technically no.

for the most part you shouldnt have any problems. just make sure the cam journals are not scored. you should be able to get away with using a used cam into another head. since Japanese have tighter tolerences, you can get away with this. i wouldnt do that in some of the American cars though.

also, your are going to need anaerobic sealer for the 1 and 5 cam main caps. you can get that at any auto parts store. Loctite and others make it. it comes in a small tube.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
SRV1 said:
technically no.

for the most part you shouldnt have any problems. just make sure the cam journals are not scored. you should be able to get away with using a used cam into another head. since Japanese have tighter tolerences, you can get away with this. i wouldnt do that in some of the American cars though.

also, your are going to need anaerobic sealer for the 1 and 5 cam main caps. you can get that at any auto parts store. Loctite and others make it. it comes in a small tube.
I am not sure if you are saying "technically no" to what i am saying but i have done a cam swap (40K miles ago) and you don't need any kind of sealer to put the cam bolts back on. I do have increased gas milage and it was a used product i put in my car that had been used by two previous owners.

O

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
onyxeros said:
I am not sure if you are saying "technically no" to what i am saying but i have done a cam swap (40K miles ago) and you don't need any kind of sealer to put the cam bolts back on. I do have increased gas milage and it was a used product i put in my car that had been used by two previous owners.

O
using two different surfaces that have different wear patterns will not wear correctly, TECHNICALLY! but i have done that in OHC before and i never had a problem. their is do's and don'ts, but that doesnt mean it wont work correctly some times. In theory is what i meant.

i didnt say CAM BOLTS, CAM MAIN CAPS!

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
SRV1 said:
using two different surfaces that have different wear patterns will not wear correctly, TECHNICALLY! but i have done that in OHC before and i never had a problem. their is do's and don'ts, but that doesnt mean it wont work correctly some times. In theory is what i meant.

i didnt say CAM BOLTS, CAM MAIN CAPS!
remind me again what CAM MAIN CAPS are? because i didnt put any sort of substance on my 'main caps' like you describe

O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts