Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, heres the problem.
when i get my car to about 2.3 RPM's it makes a weird clanking-metal sound, and when it is below 2.3 RPMs it is fine. Somebody told me it was my timing belt, but im not sure if they know what they are talking about. Does someone have a clue what the prob could be, and how much it would be to fix?
thanks

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
this is your timing chain, most likely the upper timing chain. our cars (with the 1.6) the tensioners and guides go out like every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. i waited to long and one of my guides were broke,i took it to the dealership and had everything replaced with geniune nissan parts (the safest and best way to go ;) ) and it cost with labor about $2,500.00 its not cheap but man i think it makes a big differance on performance and i get more injoyment driving a car that doesnt sound like a tractor!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHHHHHH
THATS A LOT OF MONEY...
are you sure thats what i need? It only makes that weird noise when it is at a certain RPM...
damn damn damn

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAHA... OK, THIS IS WEIRD...
after I saw the price tag of 2,500 dollars to fix the timing chain problem, we went out to my car, and i rev'd my engine, and the problem was nowhere to be seen, or in this case (heard).
hmm, its kinda weird, but I'll take that blessing
hahaa

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
my car only made that noise between 1500 and 2500 rpm's belive me ive owned 2 cars with the ga16de and it was the same problem with both. i was just saying get it fixed now its probably just a tensioner (ther made out of plastic) and cost mayby $100.00 to fix, i went too long and had to replace eveything. it doesnt hurt to have somone look at it. you could do it yourself but i find it to be a pain to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts