Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed something on the seat (it's cloth, not leather). It was a spot that was about the size of a dollar. I tried to clean it but it didn't work. Now it's bigger from the stuff I used to try and clean it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this off. I'm beyond pissed off that someone had something on their butt when they got into my truck.
 

·
Whoa...
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
poprockgrrl said:
The other day I noticed something on the seat (it's cloth, not leather). It was a spot that was about the size of a dollar. I tried to clean it but it didn't work. Now it's bigger from the stuff I used to try and clean it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this off. I'm beyond pissed off that someone had something on their butt when they got into my truck.
i need pics in good light to even try to help you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
blue coral makes an awesome upholestry cleaner...pep boy..got mine oon sale for 2 bucks!!..ne way just spray and work in with a soft tipped brush..let sit and your interior will lokk brand new...trust
 

·
What is Seven Ten for?
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
what have you being doing in your car? Gotta watch those bodily fluids ;)
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
xbrandonx said:
what have you being doing in your car? Gotta watch those bodily fluids ;)
OMGROFLOLBODYFLUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoner makes an excellent spray remover which is easy to use. The only downside is it smells like butt. Prestone Stain Remover in the yellow can is readiy available and removes a plethora of stains. Gliptone Redstuff can be used on anything on your entire vehicle. As Chris said, pics show what has to be removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Use the wrong cleaner and you can "set" the stain. It sounds as if you got the area wet and it then "wicked" up from the foam, enlarging the stain.

It most likely needs to be treated with a pre-spot then extracted. Try and find out whattype of stain it is.

Anthony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
poprockgrrl said:
The other day I noticed something on the seat (it's cloth, not leather). It was a spot that was about the size of a dollar. I tried to clean it but it didn't work. Now it's bigger from the stuff I used to try and clean it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this off. I'm beyond pissed off that someone had something on their butt when they got into my truck.
As a professional upholstry cleaner I'll tell you a little secret. Putting a cleaning product on a surface and leaving it there might seem to remove whatever it is you want removed, but the residue will likely continue to clean. In this case, the residue has been cleaning your ass or leg, depending of course where the stain is. Applying a spot remover to an unknown spot is risky as well. Some cleaners are high in acidity, so if a spot is also high in acidity, you'll set the stain. Other cleaners can cause oxidization as well (discoloration). From what you've said it sounds more like you've used a soapy product. Something like Prosolve. If so, you'll need to spend some time flushing it out with water or club soda. Avoid scrubbing but be prepared to apply slow, heavy pressure using luke warm (never hot) wateror club soda and some clean white cloths. It may take you a few times to get the job done. Hopefully in doing so, you'll remove the original spot as well. If when done, the flushed area turns a medium golden brown, you'll need to apply clear vinegar to the area (to remove cellulose browing). Just put the vinegar on a white cloth and dab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Anthony Orosco said:
Use the wrong cleaner and you can "set" the stain. It sounds as if you got the area wet and it then "wicked" up from the foam, enlarging the stain.

It most likely needs to be treated with a pre-spot then extracted. Try and find out whattype of stain it is.

Anthony
Except for the wicking part, you are correct. Extraction is imperative. Setting stains is a risk. Wicking can occur in a carpet but not usually on upholstery. The foam or cleaner is continuing to do it's job of collecting and suspending soil. If the area was over wetted and has turned brown, you have cellulose browning. Most car seats are made of relatively thin material so browning caused from prolonged drying times is unlikely, but not impossible.
 

·
Whoa...
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Anthony Orosco said:
Use the wrong cleaner and you can "set" the stain. It sounds as if you got the area wet and it then "wicked" up from the foam, enlarging the stain.

It most likely needs to be treated with a pre-spot then extracted. Try and find out whattype of stain it is.

Anthony
i agree with anthony and disagree with suke, if the spot is into the foam of the seat, it is continuing to set into the upholstry... suke, how can you say that almost never happens with upholstry? carpets usually dont wick up stains, the thin cloth on seats do.. .your logic seems backward...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Blank said:
carpets usually dont wick up stains, the thin cloth on seats do.. .your logic seems backward...
I can't believe you're saying this. And I do think YOUR logic is backward. Below are some links to some of the many sites that prove this point. They are not IICRC sites but since you are obviously NOT IICRC certified, it shouldn't matter.
http://www.baneclene.com/articles/wicking.html
http://www.baneclene.com/articles/browning.html
http://www.proschoice.com/Extreme_Soil_Guide/Wicking/wicking.html

If you want more, just ask. There are thousands just like it. While foam is indeed absorbant, I would be suprised if it was able to draw in the foam. Even so, if you were correct, what would be causing the wicking then? Please read about and know the causes for wicking before answering. My only ideas to support your theory is that poprockgrrl has a very sweaty ass or likes to hop in the car after a swim without towelling off beforehand.
 

·
Whoa...
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
you have a lyer of foam, covered by a thin layer of upholstry, as you sit on the seat, the now clean upholstery is pressed into the still stained foam, causing it to restain... how is this hard to understand? and lol at the sweaty asss...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Blank said:
you have a lyer of foam, covered by a thin layer of upholstry, as you sit on the seat, the now clean upholstery is pressed into the still stained foam, causing it to restain... how is this hard to understand? and lol at the sweaty asss...
Yeah, but the foam will dry at some point. Wicking occurs during the drying process (see defintions), hence the sweaty ass. The sweat from the ass adds moisture to the area causing the area to go through another drying process. I do not support this theory however. I'm sticking to the residue from the foam actually cleaning the ass theory as it is way more common in my everyday experience and way more likely.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top