Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other day i hop into my '06 Xtrail, start her up ( it often sits a week or so as i drive the toyota matrix). I noticed my front overhead dome light flickering. Then it shut off. Its a 12 volt LED dome bulb that i installed about 3 years ago. Worked great till other day.
  • i removed it. Re-sat it back into position. Same flickering. I removed the entire dome light unit ( just two phillip screws ) to check the wire , if anything out of place. All was good, reinstalled, still flickered...then the led bulb just died. :( * moment of silence please.
  • I need to buy a new bulb. Anywhooooo, yesterday i go to take my mother shopping for her household needs. Truck drives like new. Took the mom home. I park my truck. I decide i go check my external lights ( turn signals, headlights, reverse, parking lights, the Bat signal, etc).
  • now i notice my right corner parking light seems blown. That too is an LED that was fine the last 2-3 years.
  • i may replace both the dome and corner marker bulb with a regular non-led bulb. Just because they cost much less then the led bulbs .
  • But i'm wondering...is this just a coincidence of both unrelated bulbs burning out in 2 days? or a harbinger of things to come?
  • also, i will admit i had to google the word ''Harbinger''. Sometimes i have the dumbs. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kinda depends where the bulbs came from. LED's are great, but a lot of the cheap ones are over-driven to get high brightness. When you do that, heat sinking is de rigueur to keep them long-term healthy, but good heat sinking isn't easy or cheap. It's the same problem as bargain-basement LED headlights, they're all fine as long as you replace them every 6 months. :p

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,279 Posts
i agree some LEDs die young generally because electical failure of control circuitry ie flickering, on off etc. some seeming last a long long time.
If these were conventional bulbs I would suggest checking you alternator voltage when your battery is charged at 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for your input. I tend to keep the old replacement parts if they seem to be in still decent shape. So i kept the outside corner marker bulbs, swapped out both left/right LEDs. And i'm back to incandescent corner marker bulbs. Which is fine, no biggie.
- i still need to find my old dome light bulb that i removed to install the led bulb.
Again, no big deal, i can get a new incandescent dome bulb for a few bucks at any auto parts store.
- maybe one of these shops will perform a quick alternator voltage test for me. For now i just replace the burnt out bulbs back to factory spec ( not every one i switched over to led) and see what transpires in the next few days/weeks. If more burnouts, then i guess i need that alternator voltage looked at as IanH suggested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts