Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I've got an old Sentra XE with this engine, and just changed the upper timing chain... (joy, joy)... just a daily runner with good gas mileage, nothing done to it.

Ok, well the oil started to dissappear a few weeks back.
(before the top tensioner turned into junk - maybe related?)
Surprised the heck out of me... it got really really low.
No smoke out the back that I can see.
Nothing blue or white on startup.
Nothing in the coolant.
Nothing terribly obvious in the area of the crank pulley, some oil there but it doesn't look like 1-2 quarts per hundred miles or so is leaking out!!
I need to get under the car and have a good look, but there isn't really a telltale oil bath/path going toward the back of the engine that I see (yet).
It's got just 131kmi on it.

If it is the seal on the lower front, CAN it be pulled and repaired without pulling the engine?? (somehow I doubt it)

And, if not, what is the usual mode of failure on these engines WRT oil loss?? Your experience with this is appreciated.

If it is something beyond maybe a front seal, this nice high mileage daily runner is going to China to make appliances for Wallyworldmart I guess - via the scrap yard. :mad:

Any help beyond the usual check the oil pan and clean the engine to see an oil trail is appreciated...

Heeeeellllllppppppppppppppppp!!!

_-_-

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
really highly likely it is the crank seal. If you get under the car there will prob be oil all the way back on the passenger side. Thats what mine did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Replace the front main seal (crankshaft seal.) While your doing that, I would highly advise you change your upper and lower tensioner. They will start to chatter at around 100k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts