Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cruising down the highway at 4k rpm at 90mph...the BANG, heard a bunch of stuff rattle around under the hood, and car dies. i pullover, look under the hood, and the block IS ON FIRE. luckily i had a fire extinguisher and put it out.

anyways, i got it towed home and took out the motor compltely by myself with only a few basic hand tools. heres what i found

basic hole in the block...look closely, youll see the big one, as well as a peice of rod #2 to the right of it poking out.

rod # 1 is COMPLETELY GONE

underneath the large hole, you can see a bit of connecting rod that got throw into the side of the block, seizing up piston # 2

probably the most torn up a rod can get........i actually take pleasure in knowing that atleast it looks THIS bad. it makes a good souvenir haha

honestly, theres about 40-50 peices of rod peices in the oil pan. heres some.

hmmmm wonder whats going in here THIS time....;)

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James said:
was this after you put your megasquirt ecu in? who did the tuning for it?

man that sucks... big hole though... I can put my foot in there...

no, this is while still JWT managed, but i in no way blame the ecu.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
wow that is by far the most damaged GA I've seen. Any idea how it happened?

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James said:
do you have any ideas on what you're EGT's where before it blew?

so you're going to dump GA for the sr20?

i have no idea, but yea, im def. doing the swap this time. this was my 3rd GA.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
holy crap! ....thats impressive.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
HOLY SHIT!!! All that work and now THIS!? Keep us up to date on the SR20! ;)

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
MAN that is a catastrophic failure! How many lbs. of boost were you running when this happened? Also how did the pistons look?

Honestly I'd be shocked if you were making over 250 WHP and there are some GA's we have that are VERY close to that power rating without issues like this...

Honestly I expected to see cylinder # 3 toaasted...

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i highly doubt i was making over 175, seeing as i was only at 7 psi and using the stock MAF.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
You know, I always though a fire extinguisher was SUPER RICE, but having one saved your shell so you can just drop a new engine in and if you didn’t have one you could possibly be out the entire car. Im going to buy a small one now and keep it under my seat, thanks

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, i had one and kept it in my trunk, hidden, so people didnt say it was rice. it was strictly for serving a purpose, and this one did its job, thank god.

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
Dam, I thought I was the one with bad luck, I already blew up my tranny on the B13. Im in the process of changing it and installing some new motor mounts, tranny mount.

·
Resident Raider Fan
299 Posts
Wow dude sorry to see that, thank god for the fire extinguiser :thumbup:
Good luck with the SR20!

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts
I would kill to see the look on the persons face next to you when that thing blew. :p Complete horror and panic come to mind.

Sorry for your loss/es(damn, 3rd time, you think you'd learn by now lol.), but the upgrade will be worth it. And if this doesnt work out, theres always a 300zx er something :p

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its all good. i was tired of this motor anyways, no offense

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
i simply cant imagine how that happened. seriously, and with this luck of yours. it makes no sense, because the GA motors have an extremely strong bottom end, and thats where all the damage is.

makes me think twice about my project. should i worry?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts