Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, is it my car, or is somebody else having the same problem.....my spec-v is burning gas real fast..ill have a full tank of gas, alright, then ill drive for about 15-20 miles, at the speed limit, which is 65, and on top of that ill be in 6th gear, just to keep the rpm's low.......and by the time i come back home, ill only have a quarter of a tank left....! thats lot of gas wasted there....is sux too, cuz spec-v's need premium gas...and that shit is like 1.70 a gallon....gas dont come cheap now-adays! maybe its my car, but if your having the same problem....tell me about it..:mad:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't have a spec-v myself but I know that nissans in general tend to be very sensitive on how tight you put the gas cap on. In general, turn it so it clicks a few times so you know you have a good tight seal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James said:
somehow I doubt like 8 gallons of gas evaporated through a leak in the gas cap...

go to the dealer, you're still under warranty right?
yea its still under warranty, what would the dealer do though? they would probably just say, dont drive so much or something...and the thing is, i dont even have that many miles on it....ive had my car since 3-13-02 and ive only got close to 1,500 miles on it, ive barely broken the engine in...and another thing, u think its time for an oil change...? thanx

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
I don't have the specs on the gas tank but if it's like a 15 gallon tank you're using 10 gallons on a very short trip, I'm sure if you explain that to the dealer you'll get something done...

only thing I can think of that would use that much gas is if a buddy of yours jacked your car keys during lunch and drove a very far distance before lunch ended...

i don't know about the oil change but you're suppose to about now when you're breakingin an engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James said:
I don't have the specs on the gas tank but if it's like a 15 gallon tank you're using 10 gallons on a very short trip, I'm sure if you explain that to the dealer you'll get something done...

only thing I can think of that would use that much gas is if a buddy of yours jacked your car keys during lunch and drove a very far distance before lunch ended...

i don't know about the oil change but you're suppose to about now when you're breakingin an engine.
ok, thanx alot:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an SER but not a spec. I get about 24mpg driving like a pig!!! I'm also bad and use s**t gas (87) which should hurt the milage. Hope you find the problem

G

·
Hey xluv2eatx
I just got my spec v three weeks ago. I am with you. This thing eats gas bad. I get about 200 - 225 miles to a tank. It has a 13 gallon tank. I drive highway miles for work. I should be getting 350 - 375 miles a tank. (29 mpg down highway they say.) Taking it to the dealership sat. My three camaros get better gas mileage than this car. Other than this it's one little bad A$$ car.
IS there a chip upgrade for this car. Would like to get some input on chip bolt-on extras if anyone can help. Thanks. I'm an import newbe.

G

·
Got the same problem here.. Fall is here so I don't use the AC as much. That and I don't have to warmup the car much yet. I can squeeze about 230 miles before its low.

I was lucky to get 190 during the summer. I don't drive like a fanatic but I'm no grandma. With a car like this, you just get that urge to fly here and there.

Note: The lower grade of fuel you use, the worst the mileage gets.

·
Registered
369 Posts
lipbuster said:
Hey xluv2eatx
I just got my spec v three weeks ago. I am with you. This thing eats gas bad. I get about 200 - 225 miles to a tank. It has a 13 gallon tank. I drive highway miles for work. I should be getting 350 - 375 miles a tank. (29 mpg down highway they say.) Taking it to the dealership sat. My three camaros get better gas mileage than this car. Other than this it's one little bad A$$ car.
IS there a chip upgrade for this car. Would like to get some input on chip bolt-on extras if anyone can help. Thanks. I'm an import newbe.
there is no ecu upgrade available at this time, but jim wolf technology should have one eventually. As for other mods check my sig;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cortrim1 said:
there is no ecu upgrade available at this time, but jim wolf technology should have one eventually. As for other mods check my sig;)
cool, thanx alot

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
I check my milage every tank. During the summer, I only got 24mpg. These little 13.2 gallon tanks sure make for frequent trips to the pump!

Now that it is cooling down in socal, I too am using the ac less. I once got 28 mpg, but I think that was a fluke, as I am consistently getting 26 mpg. I do mainly freeway driving. (30 miles to work each way)

I even switched between the different oil companies too, and that had no effect. I will be trying Chevron, to see if that is any better, but there is not Chevron station convieniently located for me.

·
West Coast *******
1,127 Posts
muphasta said:
I even switched between the different oil companies too, and that had no effect. I will be trying Chevron, to see if that is any better, but there is not Chevron station convieniently located for me.
I use Mobil in my 97 GXE. Mobil Fuel is one of the better ones out there, IMO.

·
Registered
172 Posts
mine got piss poor gas milage for about 5K then it went from 18 to about 24 in the city and about 27 to 30 highway. so gas milage does improve. its the engines and tranny's they are built with very tight tolerances so they use more gas till they get broken in. my g/f was always bitching that my car eats gas. but she forgets mine only has a 13 gallon tank compared to the 16 gallon in her accord. i have 6600 on the clock now and as long as its not a bunch of short zip trips it gets pretty good milage. and i dont feather foot my gas.

G

·
red SE-R said:
mine got piss poor gas milage for about 5K then it went from 18 to about 24 in the city and about 27 to 30 highway. so gas milage does improve. its the engines and tranny's they are built with very tight tolerances so they use more gas till they get broken in.
agreed, you have to consider with a new car, new ecm map and, new engine components that it may take a break in period for it to adjust to the driving conditions. altitude, temp., driving style, etc.
bear with it till you put a few thousand miles on it then complain if it doesn't get any better.

G

·
Yes gas mileage does improve. I was only getting approx. 280 a tank now I am getting around 350. Mixed city/highway but mostly highway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Spec got about 250miles per tank up to the first oil change. Since then it has been consistant at 280 miles to a tank. On long trips where I use cruise control I can squeeze about 310 out of her but that is when the little dummy light pops on. BTW, I am at about 5200 miles now, still need more to fully break in?

G

·
did u ever stop to consider that the knock sensor may play a part in milage? or maybe the resonator box you removed? cars are built the way they are for a reason;) i also mentioned drving style and altitude playing a part. if you'll notice the sticker that was on the window it said EPA estimated milage... means average milage on the cars they tested. you may have gotten a crummy milage car. there are so many different factors to consider for gas milage that it's hard to track down one specific cause. i'll start with the gas you use.
do you visit different stations or use different brands?
what is the octane rating on the gas you buy?
does it contain additives?
are you certain it's a respectable station?
is the gas oxygenated for the winter?

find a glass jar with a lid and clean it out. head to the station and fill up gas and ask about the oxygenation (supposed to lower emissions through adding more air to the fuel so it burns cleaner; means too lean for those with modified intakes or exhausts). also ask about additives then check with nissan about the specific chemicals they use for their additive. some chemicals have adverse effects with newer aluminum engine components. have the gas clerk put a little in the dry, clean jar and close the cap tightly. when you return to fill up for the third time, check the jar for seperation and water content. any more than 5% and find another station.
i could be wrong on some of my information so anyone with the facts please step in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I only use Mobil Gas, 93 Super every time. I shift at 3k RPM 90% of the time. I have had the resonator box and Knock sensor modded for about 3 weeks and honestly it is better than it was. No more hesitation off the line and on the highway with the cruise set I get better gas mileage by leaps and bounds compared to 3 weeks ago. I was getting about 280 out of a tank, my last trip to Boston gave me over 300 to the tank. (How do you figure letting in more cold air is a bad thing?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts