Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several slightly riced Integras pull up on me while driving my 88 200SX SE V6. I haven't lost to one yet. I love this car, it looks too small to be a RWD 3 liter, and most people don't know Nissan ever made it with a VG30E. I know of one other SE V6 in this county, and they're even rarer up North in the Rust Belt. The only clue to the car's powerplant is the nameplate on the back, it says SE in white and then V6 in gray on a black car, like the guys at Nissan knew it was a sleeper and tried to make the V6 badge stealthy.
My car is stock except for the 2.5" catback exhaust and flowmaster muffler, and some interior pieces. My hp numbers are in the 165-170 range, similar to Integra GS-R's, Prelude and Civic Si, etc. But not even the VTECs can touch my low-end torque. That's what lets me smoke them off the line.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
You plan on boosting it? You ever heard of a VG20ET? They exist and I know where one is at. Just thought I'd share that with you and say that you are that one of a kind racer!

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked into the VG30ET (I think that's what you meant unless there's a 2.0 Liter version of the V6 out there.)
There are about half a dozen 200SX SE V6 owners on the Club S12 forum, and there have been lengthy discussions there about swapping in a VG30ET from an 84-89 300ZX Turbo, and it the consensus is, it's possible, but not without serious modifications. The VG30E is really shoehorned into the S12 engine bay, as you can imagine, and there's not enough room between the back of the motor and the firewall for the crossover pipe from the turbo motor. The only options are to majorly hammer the firewall or figure out another way to route the crossover pipe.
The DOHC version of the engine (VG30DE) from '90s 300ZX's won't fit either, as the heads are too wide to clear the wheelwells. Most SE owners I know have stuck to "all-motor" modifications, i.e., intake, exhaust, etc. The most common intake mod is a KA24 throttle body. You can install a K&N cone intake, but you have to have a custom MAF mounting plate made. So far all I've done to mine is a 2.5" catback exhaust and flowmaster muffler. The KA24 TB is next, then maybe the K&N. Turbos don't do much in the low-end anyway, and it's the low-end grunt that is truly the best part of having this engine in such a light car. (It actually weighs less than a 300ZX of the same vintage.)

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
that Vg20E surprised the hell out of me when I saw it, but it's in FWD configuration. You ever though about the CA18DET? I'm making over 300hp at the wheels with this puppy and it is extremely reliable. But then again, vintage oem is good to because you preserve technology of yester-year.

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CA18ET came stock in 84-86 200SX turbos. If I wanted to do a CA18DET swap, I'd get one of those. NO WAY would I convert my SE to a 4-banger, even a turbo one. I like low-end torque, I don't like to have to rev it into the upper ranges to get the juice out of it.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
tsi200sx said:
CA18ET came stock in 84-86 200SX turbos. If I wanted to do a CA18DET swap, I'd get one of those. NO WAY would I convert my SE to a 4-banger, even a turbo one. I like low-end torque, I don't like to have to rev it into the upper ranges to get the juice out of it.
I've got plenty of low end torque and I have a 4............don't be so negative towards them! btw....I had an 87 Maxima V6.....3.0.............and yea, that had some power...........but it just wasn't as quick as my 4 banger now.

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not negative towards 4-cylinders-I've owned several and they can be powerful. But like I said, I like low-end torque, and there's few 4-cylinders that will give you 174 ft.-lbs. @ 3600 rpm.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
The advantages of 2 extra cylinders, bore and stroke:) I personally like the CA18DET and 1 because it's a 4cylinder which equals more room in the engine bay, loads of power out of compact system, ease of serviceabilty (timing belt) and less cylinders to check for compression:D. To each his own would be the correct phrase here!

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but more spark plugs to replace. :)
(I'm assuming the CA18DET is dual-plug like the CA20E and CA18ET.)
You do have a point about room in the engine bay. The only times I wished I had a four was when I was doing thermostat, timing belt, alternator, etc. But at least it's RWD, which makes it easier to work on than a FWD V6, they are horrible.
And if you ask me, the maintenence responsibilites associated with a turbo far outweigh those associated with two extra cylinders.

Z

·
0 Posts
tsi200sx said:
I'm not negative towards 4-cylinders-I've owned several and they can be powerful. But like I said, I like low-end torque, and there's few 4-cylinders that will give you 174 ft.-lbs. @ 3600 rpm.

:D :D :D

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I said few, I didn't say none. :D
Personally, I'm not a turbo guy at all. All-motor power just appeals to me more, and I take most of my cars well above 200,000 miles, which is less likely with a turbo. (Though not impossible)

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
And if you ask me, the maintenence responsibilites associated with a turbo far out-weigh those associated with two extra cylinders.
You're correct in the fact that turbocharging means a little more baby-sitting, but a V6 engine out-weighs a 4cylinder "Period". The CA18DET uses only 4 spark plugs which is fired by four efficient coilpacks on top of each plug. CA20 is in the same family (block-wise), but the head is different as well as bore and stroke (CA18 upgrade).
But at least it's RWD, which makes it easier to work on than a FWD V6, they are horrible.
This true as well however, it takes me approximately 40 minutes (flat) to remove my transmission from my car from fully assembled to transmissionless. It takes me approximately 45 minutes to remove my timing belt, install new belt and start the car. I'm content with mine and so are you with yours, so enjoy the ride:)

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last thing.....I've got a 2.5" catback exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler on my V6, and the exhaust rumble is sweeeet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the concept of beating bigger engines with a much smaller one. More power to a guy that can whoop a V8 with a 4 cylinder.

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that is quite an accomplishment. I have to admit, though, it is fun when a VTEC kiddie pulls up on you assuming you have a 2-liter, and you don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts