Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got home from my trip from montana.... i bought a skyline R33 GTS25T. love the car! drove it from montana to south eastern WI.... long ass drive! it was fun tho.

i do have a complaint with my car though, its auto. and feel like she drags a bit off the line. thought i was gonna buy this and swap it tothe RB26dett and the AWD trans (or find one with just a 5 speed manual rear wheel trans) but now i am thinking about just putting a 5 speed in this one and modding this one up a bit.

your thoughts please?

·
Registered
630 Posts
do you have about 12-15k to spend making it essentially a GTR? and then more since the RB25 tends to be more reliable than the RB26...

i say keep it RWD keep the RB25 and put in a nice 5spd tranny... you might also be able to put a getrag 6spd tranny from a GTR34 which would be even nicer... but the tranny alone will cost about 10k for a good one...

what mods are all done to it? you might not need to do much to have it be a fun solid sports car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have about 12-15k to spend making it essentially a GTR? and then more since the RB25 tends to be more reliable than the RB26...

i say keep it RWD keep the RB25 and put in a nice 5spd tranny... you might also be able to put a getrag 6spd tranny from a GTR34 which would be even nicer... but the tranny alone will cost about 10k for a good one...

what mods are all done to it? you might not need to do much to have it be a fun solid sports car
how do you come up with that much? umless i am forgetting stuff... but i canget a RB26 and AWD trans for $4 grand? i plan on spending another grand in here and there kinda stuff, special tools and extra parts... so i only figured 5 grand. plus i cna sell my motor and trans for abotu a grand. unless i am totally leaving something out haha, well i guess thats why we are on here right lol.

i thought about doing a rear wheel drive RB26.... but you said the motor was not reliable, that does make me a little hesitant. what kinda problems?

my car is bone stock right now... i un bolted the rear mufler last night to kinda get a feel of what i want to do for exhaust, but it it sputtered when igot on it. so i am thinkng the computer didnt like the fact that it was getting extra air out that it wasnt used to

·
Registered
2 Posts
R33

It may only have the R33 as a 95-98 because in 95 the body style changed and it looks very similar to the R34 but that would be my only guess as to why it would be like that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may only have the R33 as a 95-98 because in 95 the body style changed and it looks very similar to the R34 but that would be my only guess as to why it would be like that
no the 95 R33 and the 93 R33 look the same, the bumper on the newer one changed a little bit but thats it

·
Registered
630 Posts
it was in 96 it changed... and it was subtle changes... the headlights are more pointy and the grill is slightly different..

ok why do i say its gonna cost you that much well heres why...

ok so the cheapest route would be to buy a half cut GTR... and then get the rest of the drive train with it... that will cost about 4k... then you ship it over,, theres another 1k then you pay someone to install it and tune it and fuck it up and then pay someone to fix there problem and you are easily in for over 15k...

not to mention you will need to upgrade the suspension... etc etc etc etc...

but for sake of arguement say everything went perfectly... your still in for a minimum of 10k...

special tools? like what muffler bearing tensioners and 710 plug removers... a tool is a tool...

now the reason why my prices are higher than what you have seen you can get for 4k, is because if you buy a 4k engine and tranny combo your gonna spend another 10k on rebuilding it... i dont know how many times its been said but YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET... ive seen people pay 1k for a RB26 and have it be perfect, then ive seen people pay 9k for one and its blown... so you never really know what you are getting, until you crack open the engine ands rebuild it... which is something you should do anyways when buying an engine...

also its not that the RB26 is an unreliable motor... its just that the RB25 is more reliable... you can build an RB26 to be very reliable and bullet proof but it just costs more... but you can also get more out of the RB26 than the RB25... but both are very capable engines...

if i was you id keep the RB25 and built it up... then when the time comes sell the car and get a GTR...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was in 96 it changed... and it was subtle changes... the headlights are more pointy and the grill is slightly different..

ok why do i say its gonna cost you that much well heres why...

ok so the cheapest route would be to buy a half cut GTR... and then get the rest of the drive train with it... that will cost about 4k... then you ship it over,, theres another 1k then you pay someone to install it and tune it and fuck it up and then pay someone to fix there problem and you are easily in for over 15k...

not to mention you will need to upgrade the suspension... etc etc etc etc...

but for sake of arguement say everything went perfectly... your still in for a minimum of 10k...

special tools? like what muffler bearing tensioners and 710 plug removers... a tool is a tool...

now the reason why my prices are higher than what you have seen you can get for 4k, is because if you buy a 4k engine and tranny combo your gonna spend another 10k on rebuilding it... i dont know how many times its been said but YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET... ive seen people pay 1k for a RB26 and have it be perfect, then ive seen people pay 9k for one and its blown... so you never really know what you are getting, until you crack open the engine ands rebuild it... which is something you should do anyways when buying an engine...

also its not that the RB26 is an unreliable motor... its just that the RB25 is more reliable... you can build an RB26 to be very reliable and bullet proof but it just costs more... but you can also get more out of the RB26 than the RB25... but both are very capable engines...

if i was you id keep the RB25 and built it up... then when the time comes sell the car and get a GTR...

well obviously you have never worked on cars before cuz there are "Special tools" i have a built a few cars already and thats one thing i learned... when working on a car even more so engine internals that manufacture will most likely have parts that can only be removed (easily) by a special tool that that manufacture makes.

i know a guy who imports parts... its already here in the states, thats where i got my SR20det from, its $4 grand for it all total. and i wont need anyone to instal it i have my own shop. so i will save lots there... but again liek i stated i am not sure what road i am going down yet. but i do know that at least the auto trans is coming out. i might just get a 2.6 head and rebuild what i got.

·
Registered
630 Posts
well there arent any special tools i can think of that youd need to buy for working on you skyline... maybe a laptop for tuning... but thats about it... and i have worked on a number of cars and while there are special tools... there arent any specific ones that will make life easier... skylines are pretty tool friendly...

when you do decide what you are gonna do be it swap engine or build what you got... the easiest way to get the engine out is by removeing the subframe and then lift the car off the engine... some people i know are building an GTR32 for a long distance road rally endurance race( the newfoundland targa) and they found it to be the easiest way, and quickest... they even timed swaping one full assembly out for another to see how long it would take incase they broke down during the race and had to replace it... it took them just a lil over 3hours for the full swap...

having your own shop will save you big money... but you will still need to tune it and that part can be tricky...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i agree about tuning, thats where i run into problems with my built cars, i had one guy do tuning till he blew on of my motors up on the dyno... ran it out to lean and pushed it to hard, poor little motor didnt even make it very many miles lol. but i got another place that lets me use there dyno, and i got a buddy who can most likely speed a few days reading up on this car and know how to tune it... so that should be good

thanks for the heads up on how to get the motor out.... it should be just like my cobalt i built then.... four bolts on the subframe, a few suspension things you have to unhook, then just disconect wire or hose that goes to the car...then just lift the car up in the air.

what do you guys use to tune these.... i use HP tuners alot but i am pretty sure it doesnt support the nissan line.

·
Registered
630 Posts
there are alot of different options out there

you can reflash the ecu and run a piggypack standalone for boost control, speed limit, feul cut, rpm cut. etc etc etc

alot of people in Canada run power FC... seems to be the best for once you have everything done... until then you can use apexi SAFC-II piggybacked on a retuned ecu...

you can buy retuned ecu's ready to go, but its recommended to have one tuned to your car for best results

1 - 11 of 11 Posts