Nissan Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well for the time being - no scoop no way... I'll switch to a front mount intercooler when I decide to start increasing the power in this engine. Remember not all ca18det's came with a intercooler at all. One under the hood is better than none at all I guess...

Right now it's at the paint shop, unfortunately my paint guy is a raving alcoholic so he'll work one day then lie in a drunken stupor for the next 3 days...he does good work tho. I helped him out and in one day we fixed about 9 dents and primered a bit. Also, I converted the fuel door to be where it useds the lever to pop it so we had to weld up the old hole from where it had a key before. The car is ready to primer - the nissan Sunny bumper i had was COVERED in like 6 coats of paint, a little more sanding and it'll be ready also. As soon as his drunken stupor is over and he starts answering calls I'll get some pics posted.

I also bought a dual pod for the a pillar and a wideband air/fuel gauge and boost gauge - i'll install that real soon also.

As for a dyno - they havn't invented those in Eastern Kentucky yet, It'll be quite a while before that (I have to drive 2 hours to reach one).

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
True that early CA18DET has no intercooler. IIRC, early CA18DET were low psi with T2/20 (?) turbos while later ones have T25 with more boost. Your DET came with intercooler stock and without the scoop that intercooler will be heat soaked by the spinning turbo and might be worse than not having one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What problems would that give me for the time being? Gonna take awhile for me to afford to have a front mount intercooler put in. Closest place is about 2 hours and wants about 1k to do it.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
What problems would that give me for the time being? Gonna take awhile for me to afford to have a front mount intercooler put in. Closest place is about 2 hours and wants about 1k to do it.
Problem will be heating the charge air which could lead to detonation. May I suggest a simple hood scoop placed properly will keep the charge air from getting heat soaked. Hood scoops are cheap on E-bay and can easily bondo or welded (if metal) on your hood. Since you are in the process of doing a lot of body work, integrating one should be no problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

As you can see I have gotten my boost gauge installed, shows about 20 psi on vacuum and about 7 psi boost at about 5000 rpm. I also have installed a wideband Air/Fuel gauge, however I can't finish the installation under the hood until after the car is finished being painted.

This week we also installed the Nissan Sunny Ground effects, which took a bit of modifying on the area around the back door.

Also, we will finish installing the rear wing, as well as we had to modify the Nissan Sunny rear bumper - basically we're having to take two bumpers to legthen this one so that it will actually reach up to the wheel wells. In the pic we havn't finished the modifications on the rear bumper.

Now as soon as my paint & body guy sobers up (he's an alcoholic) this thing should be painted, hopefully in the next couple of days...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yes, I'm running stock boost on the car at the moment. As soon as I get it painted and get an alignment, I'm gonna trailor it to Knoxville and have a front mount intercooler installed, have it tuned, and the boost adjusted to 10 psi. I'm not gonna run it back like that for quite awhile. Money is tight at the moment anyhow.

I live in Harlan County, either you've heard of us through it being called Bloody Harlan, or maybe you've heard about the off-road park here that everyone comes to ride atv's and jeeps.

This is my website for that Harlan County Campground & RV Park

·
Registered
734 Posts
your coming to my area, while your in Knoxville you should check out the pull-a-part
cost ya $1 to get in. lots of nissans, i went there last week-end and got a spoiler and the extra brake lights off a 92 se-r. i gave $10 for the spoiler and 12 for the lights. If i can make it back down there i am gonna get the rear brakes. Tell us when your in town.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
your coming to my area, while your in Knoxville you should check out the pull-a-part
cost ya $1 to get in. lots of nissans, i went there last week-end and got a spoiler and the extra brake lights off a 92 se-r. i gave $10 for the spoiler and 12 for the lights. If i can make it back down there i am gonna get the rear brakes. Tell us when your in town.
I'll let ya know, probably a few weeks at the minimum.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Okay, here's a quick update...

The main body of the car was painted last nite and there is still a little bit of modification we have to do to get the Nissan Sunny rear bumper to work. Once that is finished I'll be putting up some pics with some new parts on it.

Here's the pics...

·
NISSAN SLAP NUTS
1,051 Posts
Nice work. kodos to u...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Idiot garbageman hauled off my bumpers right outta the paint shops drive!

Sunnyca18de, if you around - I need to buy that lower section of the bumper off of you...

Here's the recent pics...

·
Registered
117 Posts
hey man any new pics? and a quick q? did you use the same body harness as the b12 or did you use the nx se? and does the harness plug and play with the engine harness and ecu. you used the same harness the engine came with right? could you email me the notes you have on the swap as far as wiring. thanks man. [email protected]. i want to swap my engine because 313hp was the best i got out of the ga16det with out breaking. at 22psi 354hp it broke and at 24psi 367hp the second time it broke. i want to swap a ca into my b12 now to see what i can do. i want to hit 400hp with out having to cut and weld mounts or have a wire mess all over the place. keep up the great work man and nice ser too i saw on the other thread.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
hey man any new pics? and a quick q? did you use the same body harness as the b12 or did you use the nx se? and does the harness plug and play with the engine harness and ecu. you used the same harness the engine came with right? could you email me the notes you have on the swap as far as wiring. thanks man. [email protected]. i want to swap my engine because 313hp was the best i got out of the ga16det with out breaking. at 22psi 354hp it broke and at 24psi 367hp the second time it broke. i want to swap a ca into my b12 now to see what i can do. i want to hit 400hp with out having to cut and weld mounts or have a wire mess all over the place. keep up the great work man and nice ser too i saw on the other thread.
Not a thing, the car is still sitting in Knoxville at the tuner shop. Had all kinds of wiring problems, I ended up putting a Sunny ZX wiring harness in it and using a Haltec.

Honestly, just leave your stock harness and add a haltec to run the motor, probably be the simplest.

In the meantime I'm building a b13 - it's under the b13 thread.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts