Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a few things i did.. and i want to know what your guyses opinions are.. because your opinion could help me out a lot... ok...

when i first got the sentra i did this.. i took the stock box off completely.. then i took the AF sensor off completeley( dont do this.. ) and i then turned the air box upside down..with just the filter and the "TOP" half of the box.. which then became the bottom portion and HOLDER of the filter.. then bolted it right back up.. this was pretty cool looking.. like a RAM AIR WRX thing.. but disconnecting the AF sensor fucked up my air/fuel mixture.. NOT GOOD.. so i then learned that the sensor just comes right out of the rubber mounter.. the piece located next to the bat. before the air box.. so i then took the AF S.. and i installed a MAF adapter with a HONEYCOMB style filter like HKS.. only it was ractive.. and stuck that on.. put the sensor next to it.. Later i then made a homemade cold air box for my air intake.. which took a while.. but finally worked.. so now.. i have the sensor sitting next to the air intake with Honeycomb filter.. facing up.. and a wall blocking out the hot engine air..

My question, is what i did.. a good idea.. because i knew that most of you have Cold air.. or more air.. well.. i wanted.. more AND cold air,.........
Or was what i did not a good idea and infact i have too much air goin into the intake plenium.. and now.. its not able to make the proper air/fuel mixture and causeing my car to run a little better.. but not what i think its supposed to be running the way it is..

should i just get rid of this wall i made and go with the HS MAF intake.. or place racing intake.. or is what i did better than having these.. ???

Travis..

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean if it is running ok leave it alone?? just curious..??

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
I did the upside-down airbox thing about 2 years ago. I heard its good for about 2hp. My car ran fine like that. Now I have a true WAI and like that alot better. Soon to have CAI.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well.. whats a WAI? and im gonna get the place racing CAI.. unless someone thinks i shouldnt and go with a hotshots insted? or do you think its not gonna matter? which piping is larger?? or are they both pretty much the same.. Travis

·
Registered
339 Posts
1999GXE1.6 said:
ok well.. whats a WAI? and im gonna get the place racing CAI.. unless someone thinks i shouldnt and go with a hotshots insted? or do you think its not gonna matter? which piping is larger?? or are they both pretty much the same.. Travis
WAI stands for Warm Air Intake and CAI for Cold Air Intake.

·
Registered
145 Posts
huh,whada letem do...

I was trying to find a fairly current intake thread to post this question instead of starting a new one. About a year ago I had this intake set up installed and don't know what the hell i got besides a bit of a grumble when I'm accelerating. Anyway I picked up a HS CAI intake and am ready to install but as i look at the short directions given and the pieces in my engine bay that appear to be unhooked and unused, I wanna know, WHAT ARE THESE POINTS AND PARTS AND DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING WITH THEM AS I ADD THE INSTALL! Help me before I tear something up. please...

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
Ractive makes a kit for your car man. It includes the adapter for the maf housing and it includes the filter and bracket- if youre interested I will get the part number for you tomorrow when I get to work, I actually have 2 in stock thatll fit your car, you really shouldnt leave the sensor hanging out, atleast try to jam it in the box so its riding around, if it touches anything on the outside of the housing its gonna trip your check engine light, I had a customer try to do the same thing your doing and thats what happened b/c he wasnt careful- Im not saying youre not being careful though- so dont take that the wrong way. I think there is a group buy going on for cai's though if youre interested. I dont know what page the thread is one though. How is akron doing this time of year? Your car should be running better in the cold. since there is gonna be just snow and no rain why dont you get a tube and run it where the stock intake was run- thatll give you cold air, go test it on 271, worked for me when I lived up there.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Todd0341 said:
Ractive makes a kit for your car man. It includes the adapter for the maf housing and it includes the filter and bracket- if youre interested I will get the part number for you tomorrow when I get to work, I actually have 2 in stock thatll fit your car, you really shouldnt leave the sensor hanging out, atleast try to jam it in the box so its riding around, if it touches anything on the outside of the housing its gonna trip your check engine light, I had a customer try to do the same thing your doing and thats what happened b/c he wasnt careful- Im not saying youre not being careful though- so dont take that the wrong way. I think there is a group buy going on for cai's though if youre interested. I dont know what page the thread is one though. How is akron doing this time of year? Your car should be running better in the cold. since there is gonna be just snow and no rain why dont you get a tube and run it where the stock intake was run- thatll give you cold air, go test it on 271, worked for me when I lived up there.
i am driving my winter beater now.. its a probe gt.. 89.. turbo.. its a lot of fun!.. wel.. the weather.. yeah the probe with cold air is running really good in this weather.. its cool.. but about the nissan mass air sensor.. yeah.. its too late.. a while ago i disconnected ita nd just ran the car without it.. and i fucked up.. now my check engine light is on.. and its goin on and off.. i have the stock filter box back on.. and for a week or two it was gone.. but its back.. its in storage now though.. Travis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts