Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
Even better yet, don't even do an exhaust, do a header and a CAI for less than what your exhaust would have cost and get more HP gains for less money.

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
A pop charger is a waste of money IMO. It's just hooking a cone filter up to your MAF and scrapping the OEM airbox. Honestly, Minor Threat, go with a Hotshot header, buy a used one from someone if money is an issue (when isn't money an issue?)advance your timing a little, and put a CAI in. I built my own CAI for like $60, and that's because I bought a $30+ K&N filter instead of a cheap $20 cone filter from Autozone. Skip the damn catback, it'll net you oh maybe 3 HP at best. If your car hasn't had a tune up in awhile do that as well. (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor possibly, timing check). Keeping you tires at the proper pressure helps too, and that doesn't cost anything. I've heard good things about replacing the shifter bushing and they're like $7. No HP gains, obviously, but shifting is much nicer. As far as a store bought CAI I don't think it matters all that much. Some guys will swear one is better than another, but I think they're all the same. The only thing that would make one better than another would be the coating, ceramic is what you'd want, and the bends. My homemade setup has only one bend in it and it's a very smooth and gradual bend. I've seen shitty sharp bends on store bought ones before.

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
Damn, DHO went all out with the silicone couplings and everything, nice job! I didn't do the MAF to TB piping, too much work.

Originally posted by 1997 GA16DE
btw, you would get more horsepower out of the Ghetto airbox mod than from a sh*tty $20 cone filter. You pay for what you get...
Not necessarily, I've had several people tell me that the cheap filter works as well as the higher priced ones.

It'd be cool if someone could do some dyno testing to verify this beyond a reasonable doubt.

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
Do the timing advance yourself Minor Threat. Spend some money on a decent timing light, I think JC Ripme has a nice one that's got a tach built into it. It's easy to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.