Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if i got a 2.25 inch cat back for my b13, would i get any horsepower out of it?, or would it decrease the horsepower?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
2.25" for sure. Whether or not the 2.25" cat-back loses low-end power over 2" is debated somewhat, but either way you're going to get more power than the stock pea-shooter.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Even better yet, don't even do an exhaust, do a header and a CAI for less than what your exhaust would have cost and get more HP gains for less money.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
I agree with toolapcfan (did I just agree with APC? AAAHHHH!!! ;) )... if you don't have an intake or header, I would do those first. Leave the exhaust for later. Unless you just want to have that exhaust noise. I'd rather have the CAI growl personally.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see i am looking to getting some extra horse outa my car for not that much because im still in high school and dont have much money so the budget setup so i could get some extra horse i was think about is, pacesetter 2.25 cat back $154, pacsetter header $160. and a CAI $?, does that sound like and alright setup to get some extra horse for cheap? if its not worth the money please tell me, i am not planning on putting a lot of money into my car so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Please, please, pretty please, do not go with pacesetter. Take a look at my website: http://1minute.com/dan/ You'll see pics of all the issues I had with the header. Save yourself 19hrs of trouble and get yourself a Hotshot header! Pacesetter only corrected one issue, the connection to the lead pipe on the exhaust but they did not correct anything else.

It's been 2 months since I attempted to install the bad header and I have yet to see my money back. Pacesetter also pairs the primaries incorrectly and they are usually painted black but after 30 seconds of the car running, it'll just burn off. The heat from it burned out my 120 amp alternater.

The best bang for the buck would be the HS header, I bet you can find a new set for $380 from one of their distributors. How many miles are on your car? One of the other mods, if the car had over 100,000 miles, is a random technology bolt-on catylitic converter, should free up some extra hp. It costs $180. (I'd do this mod if I had the money and if I was adding the header or exhaust.)

A pop charger will cost you about $128.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
A pop charger is a waste of money IMO. It's just hooking a cone filter up to your MAF and scrapping the OEM airbox. Honestly, Minor Threat, go with a Hotshot header, buy a used one from someone if money is an issue (when isn't money an issue?)advance your timing a little, and put a CAI in. I built my own CAI for like $60, and that's because I bought a $30+ K&N filter instead of a cheap $20 cone filter from Autozone. Skip the damn catback, it'll net you oh maybe 3 HP at best. If your car hasn't had a tune up in awhile do that as well. (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor possibly, timing check). Keeping you tires at the proper pressure helps too, and that doesn't cost anything. I've heard good things about replacing the shifter bushing and they're like $7. No HP gains, obviously, but shifting is much nicer. As far as a store bought CAI I don't think it matters all that much. Some guys will swear one is better than another, but I think they're all the same. The only thing that would make one better than another would be the coating, ceramic is what you'd want, and the bends. My homemade setup has only one bend in it and it's a very smooth and gradual bend. I've seen shitty sharp bends on store bought ones before.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
a POP charger is not a waste of money. I have one and it'll blow the sh*t out of any car that bought theirs at auto zone for $20 (I know b/c I have). My only mods are a Jim Wolf POP charger and advanced timing (which isn't advanced anymore b/c I think I have a bad knock sensor). I raced another b14 GXE and beat the crap outta him. His mods were a $20 cone filter and custom exhaust and I still beat him with only my POP filter.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I agree! I made my custom CAI with mandrel bends and with the pop charger down in the wheel well. I have an automatic and the tires break loose with 195/50/15's close to 5,000rpm in 1st gear! Here's some pics:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i think im gonna now go with a CAI and hotshot headers, and maybe try to do some advanced timing depending on the price, i will just get a new muffler to improve the apperance and get a little better flow, my car just got a tune up like 2 months ago so its all set, the only mods i have done to it is 16inch motegi rims with 205/40 tires, a cd player, some subs, and for my birthday my friends bought me a ton cheap little things like racing pedals and floor mats and seatbelt pads, so now im looking into doing engine work and i dont wanna fuck it up, and i wanna keep it cheap

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I said the $20 cone filter is worse than the Ghetto airbox mod. The POP filter will blow both away. those cheap cone filters at auto zone are a ricers dream. the only adventages you get with those things are that they come in red, yellow, and blue (if you call those advantages). If you want a good WAI (or CAI cone) use a cone from Jim Wolf, Ingen, or K&N. Why do you think most of us have $100+ WAI's when anyone could go to Auto zone and spend $20 on one. BECAUSE YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.

POP CHARGERS ARE NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!
the only thing better is a CAI (in which they STILL use a POP cone on the end).

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Damn, DHO went all out with the silicone couplings and everything, nice job! I didn't do the MAF to TB piping, too much work.

Originally posted by 1997 GA16DE
btw, you would get more horsepower out of the Ghetto airbox mod than from a sh*tty $20 cone filter. You pay for what you get...
Not necessarily, I've had several people tell me that the cheap filter works as well as the higher priced ones.

It'd be cool if someone could do some dyno testing to verify this beyond a reasonable doubt.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Do the timing advance yourself Minor Threat. Spend some money on a decent timing light, I think JC Ripme has a nice one that's got a tach built into it. It's easy to do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts