Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well like the topic says my engine is fried i was doing 140km/h on the highway for a good 30 minutes stopped for gas then 2 minutes after i left the gas station she wouldn't even go out 80km/h seems like i blew the head gasket or its running on 3 cylinders limped me home thankfully! gotta love the sentra but i'm so saD i killed my sentra :mad: anybody know where i can find a cheap ass e16s or should i just buy a new sentra

btw i started snowbank ramming and its stuck down the street :mad:

·
Registered
502 Posts
cmack said:
well like the topic says my engine is fried i was doing 140km/h on the highway for a good 30 minutes stopped for gas then 2 minutes after i left the gas station she wouldn't even go out 80km/h seems like i blew the head gasket or its running on 3 cylinders limped me home thankfully! gotta love the sentra but i'm so saD i killed my sentra :mad: anybody know where i can find a cheap ass e16s or should i just buy a new sentra

btw i started snowbank ramming and its stuck down the street :mad:
First give it a look, maybe its something simple!!

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
if its like me, the timing belt stretched a bit... but i doubt it will be the case for you, take a compression check. you should be able to find an E16 in Ontario, you guys there have lots of scrap yards :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
even if, a head gasket job is 100 bucks for the kit and idk... 5 hours of work just make sure whats wrong first before u go get another car

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got bored yesterday and decided to work on the car... ripped the valve cover off and found that the rocker arm bolts were just siting there ready to get sucked into a valve :thumbdwn: it looked like they've been loose for a while because there was no thread left on them so i tightened them up a bit (car isn't on the road) started it up and it sounded just like new got rid of all my valve noise and everything probably gonna go pick up some new ones tomorrow does anybody know what these bolts are suppose to be tightened down to torque wise??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
idk about the torque, but i would like to add.... why the heck is this a common event is this a factory mess up or are people messin with there rocker arms without knowin what to do because this isnt the first or second time ive read about a rocker arm bolt fallin off

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It seems that when I had this problem I noticed some of the "retainers" were missing when I compared it to the engine I pulled out of the parts sentra, like someone had worked on the car before and just didn't put them back in.

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
yeah. you are supposed to install NEW ones every time, but nobody does. hell, most of the time, people don't even reinstall the old ones. it happened to me once. you may have to have the holes bottom tapped and install longer bolts, otherwise, it'll just pull the remaining threads out.

or install a thread repair kit...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
and i thought i was a idiot for forgetting to put my oil cap back on my ga but forgetting rocker arm bolts, come onnnnn nowww

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
Slacky said:
and i thought i was a idiot for forgetting to put my oil cap back on my ga but forgetting rocker arm bolts, come onnnnn nowww
not the bolts, the retainers. they break easily, and people use them over or leave them out entirely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slacky said:
idk about the torque, but i would like to add.... why the heck is this a common event is this a factory mess up or are people messin with there rocker arms without knowin what to do because this isnt the first or second time ive read about a rocker arm bolt fallin off
this is the first time i've ever messed around with them but this car does have 270,000kms on it and i'm the 3rd owner so who knows....

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
that's what i'm talking about.... i hope that's what everyone else is talking about. now that i'm re-reading it, is he talking about the rocker adjusting screws? oop. that would be a matter of making sure the jam nuts are tightened properly...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I was talking about the rocker shaft bolt retainers, but I have come across an E16 with several adjusting screws loose as well as a couple rocker shaft bolts, I was kind of amazed that the valvetrain wasn't shreaded to pieces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts