Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
built my own intake for this car, and I must say that I am well pleased.

I used the stock rubber hosing from the intake manifold, and the MAF.

From the MAF I fabricated an adapter. From the adapter is as 3" to 2" rubber coupler that runs to 2" ABS pipe. I used 2" because the smaller diameter should increase the psi by just a bit as opposed to using 3" like most do when building these things, and they don't make 2.5" pipe which would fit perfectly. The pipe going into the coupler is pushed all the way to the MAF as the larger diameter of the coupling allows for this on the adapters end.

Next is a straight piece of ABS going to a 45 degree elbow going to another straight piece of about 5 inches, which has the hole for the Intake Air Temperature Sensor, which fits perfectly as on the stock pipe to the resonator. Next is another 45 degree elbow then another straight piece going through the fender well into a 2" to 3" adapter with the 3" adapter being the fitting that is inserted into the 8" cone filter, and the pipe pushes to the outlet of the filter via the larger diameter of the coupler on the 3" end. Filter fits perfectly behind the bumper and wheel well under pinning.

No need for a brace for the intake is sturdy as is and does not rattle and flexes only at the stock flex pipe which is needed in engine flex.

tell me what you think...

And it does work much better than the way I had it before just by replacing the stock air box with the cone filter and removing the resonator under the fender well.

someone also tell me how to post pics to so I can show everyone, please

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spectre filter. about 7" long and about 5.5" in diameter, cost 19.99

pipe and connectors and MAF adapter, about 20.00.

change in sound, definitely. before I just had the filter directly to the MAF and it was very much louder, but dirtier sounding. Now it sounds more like a harnessed and efficient grumble. sounds great at 4500 to 5000 rpm in 3rd :)

very noticeable torque increase @ low rpms, and very quick acceleration in the powerband (3000 to 5000 rpm). I'm catching tire in 3rd and 5250 rpm. No other mods either.

and I'm boasting a 39.50 mpg! from a 26 mpg stock; ram air @ 32.6 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mpg gains are as accurate as I can get. all hwy miles though. I drive 150 miles each day, all hwy, and a bit of throttle pushing here and there of course.

I didn't paint it, but I will, when I get a day off :fluffy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
i like it. it sounds like a pretty good setup. i've tried making one with PVC but i didnt have the rubber couplings. i think thats the ticket. so good job. i'm trying to piece together all the parts to build the intake (your way). i could use the dementions for my cut pieces of 2". thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts