Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats happening,

Sad story: My '91 Sentra SE-R is getting too old for me. It has about 157,000 miles on, although it has been expertly taken care off. My dad purchased it brand new, babied it, and then gave it to me at about 90,000, and I have done the same. It has been an awesome car, and it is still completely stock. Recently I experienced the 5th gear popout problem. After 2 opinions (Cottman transmission and my trusted Nissan Dealer), I was told that the transmission needs new synchros, possibly a new fork, and "serious work." I'm afraid I cannot afford the time or money this repair would take, and currently I'm looking to sell it. Any idea what it's worth? I'll check NADA and KBB, but just wanted another opinion. The car is in excellent shape, with the exception of the transmission and the paint (beginning to oxidize after 11 years in the Southwest sun).......

Thanks,

SE-Rfan

·
Banned
118 Posts
...$100...tops... maybe $120...DEAL???

:D

If so....drop me a line....I'll be at your house in 3.6 sec flat...:p

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
well... with such serious work needed..... I would have to say about maybe.. tops..... $1,600, if not I would love to buy the AAC Valve or the Sun visors. I dunno man....if so much fixing is needed... why would someone else want to spend money to fix it..some people do if they have money.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oxidizing paint...Hmm. You guys try Meguiars paint cleaner, polish and wax? That should bring back a lot of the shine. Basically what happened is that your clear coat was left unprotected and basically wore away. The base coat paint underneith is now exposed and looks dull. I could be wrong, you may have waxed the car every few months but polishing and waxing usually prevent this. If it's too serious the car will need to repainted and clear coated again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, about the oxidation,

both myself and a detail shop tried to detail out (read: buff out the paint) with a buffer, and it just didn't work.....will need a new paint job soon. But thanks for the info...

-dmultra

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
isnt this supposed 2 be in classifieds?

·
Registered
185 Posts
SE-Rfan said:
Recently I experienced the 5th gear popout problem. After 2 opinions (Cottman transmission and my trusted Nissan Dealer), I was told that the transmission needs new synchros, possibly a new fork, and "serious work."
Both are way overstating the issue.

You will need about $200 in parts (perhaps even less). The biggest hurt would be the labor for removing and intalling the gearbox. The time required to change the parts should probably be a couple of hours. Or, better yet, find a used gearbox to install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i found a good resource for anybody looking for SR20DE 5th gear popout

http://www.se-r-list.org/fifth.gear.phtml

The problem here is not the parts, its the labor. I'm more adept at maint. then some, but not nearly enough to do a transmission dropout swap....

You wouldn't know a good place to get transmission (swap, or parts) in the OKC area, would you?

Thanks

-dmultra

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
A tranny swap would be a piece of cake. You'd want to put a new clutch in while the tranny is out as well, and maybe put new front and rear mounts in. If you buy a tranny locally, you're likely to pay too much, unless you could find one in a junkyard, which I doubt. I've only seen one SE-R in a junkyard and it was yesterday, and had already been stripped of all it's goodies and then some. You'd probably be better off ordering a tranny on the net and paying shipping. If you were closer I'd help you do it for a few bucks and some pizza. A tranny swap with a new clutch, mounts and labor is likely to cost you a minimum of $1500. It's worth fixing if your engine still runs strong. Your car is only worth about $700 in it's current condition and with a working tranny and better paint is worth $1500. So if you're going to fix it, then keep it, if not, then sell it as is for $700. Swapping trannies is no tougher than switching spark plugs IMO, but I'm comfortable with doing that. For $1500 you might be able to find another SE-R, but you might know as well as I do that they are few and far between here in the plains. Drove to Minneapolis to get mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.....lots to think about. Thanks for the info, and the offer. I love my SE-R man, as I'm sure you do....but I think its time to bite the bullet, and save up cash for a WRX rather than resurrect the glory of the SE-R. Peace,

-dmultra

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
so, are you going to sell your car? if so, PLEASE let me know. i'm not online a whole lot anymore, so pm me sometime with info, like price, whatnot. my 1.6 is about to bite the bullet and i'm going to do a swap. or, i might just fix the tranny, like someone said before, its honestly not that hard!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This just in..........

Found a shop in the OKC area who promised to fix the transmission for $500 + parts. They are working on it now.

Stay tuned...

-SE-Rfan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts