Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me give you the rundown: my mom has had this car for the last 6 years, until i bought it from her a month ago. its been very reliable HOWEVER the alignment has been weird since she first got it (didnt really matter, never drove on the highway), and now i have to fix it. the steering wheel vibrates at 65 mph, and gets progressively stronger as speed increases. its not the wheel balancing, as the car has had 3 different sets of wheels (just put on 17's) professionally balanced. She had the car algned numerous times, to no avail, apparently its incurable. now i have it and really really need to fix it, but dont know where to start, im thinking rack and pinion bushings, or something loose or maybe lower control arm bushings...
also,when at speed, if you make little steering adjustments the car rolls quite a bit and rocks back and forth. like if your at 60 and turn the wheel a bit, the wheel will swing the other direction a lil, kinda like a see-saw. its kinda amusing. anybody have any ideas? i dont want to replace a ton of stuff thats ok to begin with.

i just found rack mounting bushings on rockauto for only 6 bucks. has ayone done that before? is it hard?

thanks in advance fellas

·
Registered
189 Posts
Usually, when a shop does an alignment they will check over all the suspension and steering parts to see if anything is going bad. Apparently, when she got alignments, the shop never said anything about this?

Not sure where to start. From the sounds of the rocking back and forth issue, it could be the shocks are so shot that the wheels hop while going down the road. I've seen cars cruising down the road at 65 MPH before with on wheel hopping up/down like mad.

Best thing to do is get someone to cruise next to you on a multi lane hiway and look at all your wheels at the speed when there is a vibration and have them look for a wheel that is hopping or wobbling. Also, look at the shocks to see if they are leaking any fluid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very possibly be bad struts. I don't understand the oversize wheels and tires. These front ends aren't designed for that and it does throw things way out of mechanical balance. Bad disc brake rotors can cause a lot of vibration and also bad drive axles and/or CV joints. Wheel bearing assemblies also can cause this if they are run out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts