Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, my a/c has been dead for almost 2 years now, and ive finally got around to fixing it. i took it to a meineke and they said i just needed a recharge, well that shop closed. so i took it to another meineke and they said that my compressor is dead...which makes sense cause whenever i looked at it with the a/c button in, the clutch never kicked on.

they said that i need a new compressor and a drier. they quoted me over $900 for everything, so i said screw that im going to ebay.

so here are my questions:

1) i have a 96 will a 99 compressor work? a.k.a. this compressor

2) are these all the same thing? drier, evaporator, receiver drier? a.k.a. is this the drier?

thanks for the prompt answers and the help...i need to bid quickly...

edit: i just found out that the evaporator is something different but i cant remember if the guy said if it was dead too, so ill call tomorrow and find out.

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
anyone....
Skip E Bay for this sort of thing. You need to find a good late model salvage yard locally and shop there so that you can return it if is the wrong thing or faulty. I consider local anything within a 75 mile radius of home and shop junkyards in 4 countied surrounding my home to find the best deals. ( A typical day junkyarding consists of about 100-150 miles of driving!-and I work 6 days/60 hrs a week) Also, B14's can be divided into 2 sets of years on SOME things: 95-97 and 98-99 ( brakes and ECU among others). I don't know if the accessory drives is one of them. Lastly, you may be thinking of the condenser instead of the evaporator.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
That deal you found looks great... and that's a salvage compressor. That looks like a Calsonic DKV-14 compressor. Those aren't cheap... and the buyer offers a refund if you want to return it for any reason. I think you should get it.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it is a good deal and his feedback is great...i already bought the drier...but im trying to figure out if the a/c compressor will work on my 96

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I may be wrong about the make and model number, ask the seller what make and model number it is. It's written on that green tag I can see in the pic. Then compare it with yours or look it up.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
ok, my a/c has been dead for almost 2 years now, and ive finally got around to fixing it. i took it to a meineke and they said i just needed a recharge, well that shop closed. so i took it to another meineke and they said that my compressor is dead...which makes sense cause whenever i looked at it with the a/c button in, the clutch never kicked on.

they said that i need a new compressor and a drier. they quoted me over $900 for everything, so i said screw that im going to ebay.

so here are my questions:

1) i have a 96 will a 99 compressor work? a.k.a. this compressor

2) are these all the same thing? drier, evaporator, receiver drier? a.k.a. is this the drier?

thanks for the prompt answers and the help...i need to bid quickly...

edit: i just found out that the evaporator is something different but i cant remember if the guy said if it was dead too, so ill call tomorrow and find out.
The Clutch will not pull in if there is no Freon.
I strongly suggest before you spend a bunch of money that you get gauges put on this and checking the Freon pressure, put enough in it to diagnose if its working. One can is usually enough.
These A/C shops will just give you a great big estimate because you cant check up whats good or bad.
If you replace anything then the dryer is a good investment to keep the system dry and prevent corrosion.
Good Luck.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they tried doing a direct charge and it didnt work...also i tried a do it myself about a year ago, and it didnt work...

my a/c has been shot for like 2 years...

·
im2kwik4u
188 Posts
You would need to check if the compressor is exactly the same, im not sure if they vary by year or motor, u just have to check if the high prssure hose and low pressure hose will bolt on perfectly to the 99 compressor. u can call nissan to see if the parts are the same. Do not get a rebuilt a/c compressor these will only last u anywhere between a year or 2, try getting a genuine nissan compressor. Also make sure that that the drier is the same as your old one, i had a bad experience when i bought one at advance auto parts and it did not fit.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im sorry but i dont have $400 for a new compressor, and summer is coming fast. im in vegas and everyday its like 120 during the summer. i went two years without ac, i dont wanna go through another year without it.

·
2,656 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
im sorry but i dont have $400 for a new compressor, and summer is coming fast. im in vegas and everyday its like 120 during the summer. i went two years without ac, i dont wanna go through another year without it.
Have you tried the Pick Your Part in Vegas? I took a vacation to Vegas a few years back and spent a day junkyarding. That was the cheapest place I found and it may be worth taking a look out there. That sort of place would probably have it for under $50.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
himilefrontier said:
Have you tried the Pick Your Part in Vegas? I took a vacation to Vegas a few years back and spent a day junkyarding. That was the cheapest place I found and it may be worth taking a look out there. That sort of place would probably have it for under $50.
Junkyards don't accept returns. He's bidding on that compressor also, I think he's getting a great deal if the compressor turns out allright. He just has to fill it with the right amount of oil before he's installing it.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the pick-a-parts have no b14's and i searched car-part.com and the compressors on there were like 150-200

the ebayer offers returns and i read through most of the feedback and a few people actually had to return...

so i think im in the clear...and btw, im not installing it...a shop it

·
2,656 Posts
Twiz said:
Junkyards don't accept returns. He's bidding on that compressor also, I think he's getting a great deal if the compressor turns out allright. He just has to fill it with the right amount of oil before he's installing it.
Obviously, you don't shop at the right junkyards! The U pull it places around here give you a 31 day garuntee, and the better late model places offer up to a 1 year free replacement.

But yeah, B14's are kinda scarce in those yards. I just usually wait to buy until I find what I want for the price I want to pay. When I was impatient, I paid a little too much and wound up spending $200 on a compressor and evaporator....ouch!:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts