Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on hills and dies alot. Don't know what is wrong. It sounds like the exhaust is getting pluged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes

Slacky said:
ever try a tune up or anything?
I changed the fuel filter, timeing tenchiner, oil change, spark plugs, plug wires, ditributer cap, but all it did was make the sound better. If I step on the gas it just dies and right now I have the timing all the way up just to keep it from shuting off. when I start the car it will run untill it warms up then that is when the problem starts.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
If your not getting the right A/R ratio when the car warms up, it is more likely the MAF sensor not the O2 sensor. I would check the emmission system first. Check for trouble codes using the ECU diagnostic. You mentioned that when it is warming up it seems fine but once get warm it starts to bog and loose power. I suspect it could be the AIV valve not closing after your car gets warm. Just my guess. An FSM or even a Chilton manual would be helpful at this time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mwolvin said:
Have you checked the exhaust, expecially catalytic converters? Sometimes they get clogged and cause loss of power.
I will check the converter first but I was also wondering why the throttle body has coolant hosed to it. I ask that because it gets hot,

the time
ing is set high so the car doesn't die when I have to move it. Right now I can not drive it, only about a block before it warms up and after that happens it just dies when I step on the gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mervic said:
If your not getting the right A/R ratio when the car warms up, it is more likely the MAF sensor not the O2 sensor. I would check the emmission system first. Check for trouble codes using the ECU diagnostic. You mentioned that when it is warming up it seems fine but once get warm it starts to bog and loose power. I suspect it could be the AIV valve not closing after your car gets warm. Just my guess. An FSM or even a Chilton manual would be helpful at this time.

after it warms up the engine starts to rev on its own, then it dies. when I have the right timing the car sounds great for a bit, that is until it warms up and dies. Like I said before, I have the timing all the way up just to move the car. And then I have to have the clutch half way steped on so it won't die.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
vaderx said:
I will check the converter first but I was also wondering why the throttle body has coolant hosed to it. I ask that because it gets hot,

the coolant lines going into the TBI unit have to do with idle. the car is on high idle while cold, as it warms up, the coolant passing through those lines heats a wax pellet idle cam assembly, and allows the idle to come down as the coolant temperature rises.

usually when those lines get plugged, your stuck with a high idle condition. opposite of what you have. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
astreamk1 said:
vaderx said:

the coolant lines going into the TBI unit have to do with idle. the car is on high idle while cold, as it warms up, the coolant passing through those lines heats a wax pellet idle cam assembly, and allows the idle to come down as the coolant temperature rises.

usually when those lines get plugged, your stuck with a high idle condition. opposite of what you have. :rolleyes:
thanks for the info

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
What do you mean by the timing set so high? Is it the base timing, cuz if it is advance too much, you are risking of detonation and will cause engine failure. My guess if you said that the TB gets really hot is that it is basically overheating, causing it to stall. I will set the timing right back, does not matter if you cannot move the car or not. If it is a GA16i, its base timing is 7 BTDC. When engine gets so hot, it starts to pre-ignite and it is kinda an exponential problem, since if it pre-ignite, the ECU will retard the timing everytime it detects a change in temparature, until it basically loses a lot of its power cuz of too much timing retard. I hope I am making some sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mervic said:
What do you mean by the timing set so high? Is it the base timing, cuz if it is advance too much, you are risking of detonation and will cause engine failure. My guess if you said that the TB gets really hot is that it is basically overheating, causing it to stall. I will set the timing right back, does not matter if you cannot move the car or not. If it is a GA16i, its base timing is 7 BTDC. When engine gets so hot, it starts to pre-ignite and it is kinda an exponential problem, since if it pre-ignite, the ECU will retard the timing everytime it detects a change in temparature, until it basically loses a lot of its power cuz of too much timing retard. I hope I am making some sense.
so what should I do to fix the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mwolvin said:
Have you checked the exhaust, expecially catalytic converters? Sometimes they get clogged and cause loss of power.
it's not the converter cause I just checked it today.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Nothing like pulling a 7 1/2 year old thread out of the ground...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts