Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my stock muffler finally rusted throguh and has a nice sized hole in it. Any ideas on what i should replace it with??? I was thinking a performance straight throguh muffler but id still have the stock crush bent pipe all the way through, so this just seems like more noise than anything else.
I dont want to go with another stock or cheap muffler thoguh. Is there a more performacne oriented traditonal (OE style) muffler available for a decent price. I share the car with my dad so it cant be too noisy.

-Nick

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
maybe check out those on other nissan cars... a nice stanza or infinity muffler would be nice... infinity are stainless (g35) ???... those are bigger inlet/outlet, still silent... id love to get one of those... but now i got brand new stock muffler so...

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
You can get a straight through or low-restriction muffler and it will still be an improvement, even with the stock pipe. I would definitely recommend doing a cat-back though. I had a 2.5" catback with a Flowmaster muffler put on my 88 200SX V6 for about $180. More power, better throttle response, the motor revs more quickly. And it sounds awesome. (I don't know what a 4-cylinder will sound like but the Flowmaster gives the 3-liter a sweet rumble.)

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
I put the cheapest muffler I could find at Canadian Tire. It was $30 and was quiet for a few months. Now a year later it rumbles like an aftermarket exhaust even though it has not rusted at all. :) When you do put the new muffler on I suggest getting a can of black high-heat manifold paint and putting aleast 3 coats on the new muffler. Prevents it from rusting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a glasspack on my 88 b12 and it sounds good. it's actualy pretty loud. it's louder than alot of those huge pipes people put on thier cars. i only got it because i needed a new muffler. it seemed to have a little more punch.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
i threw on a mozart pipe with 2.25 piping from the cat. it sounds pretty good except for the popping while decelerating. i like it and besides it looks good coming through the xenon rear skirt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
don't get a glasspack. i take back my last post. they restrict air flow and actually hurt your performance. but they do sound good

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
not all glass pack are bad... just the louvered type... if you go for any straight throu... be sure its perforated core .. not louvered :)

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
they also sell those at candian tire... its just like the dynamax muffler or much like it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
anyone know where you can get a mandrel bent 2' pipe without the muffler. i saw the one pacesetter makes but it comes with a exaughst that is not the straight through design that i want.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
sentrastud said:
Hey guys i found a brand that makes Raptor mufflers or something like that. Theyre available throguht midas. They are designed to be less restrictive (claim anyway) and they dont look too bad. Has anyone ever used one of these, or had any experience with one?

-Nick
My friend has one on an old Subaru. Sounds really nice but it's not loud. Cost him $30+tax at Crappy Tire

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you are interested I've got a:

Bosal BROSPEED PROSPORT Stainless Steel Muffler.

Brand new in the box. T-304 Stainless Steel, Mirror-Polished Finish, 4" Tip & Straight through design

$150 CDN + Shipping

[email protected]

·
Nissan No More
1,904 Posts
I've got a 2 1/2" x 30" Thrush perforated glasspack with 8" downpipe on my 85 B11. Downpipe needed to redirect exhaust from blowing into bumper. Noise is surprisingly modest in normal driving. It purrs quite nicely. Performace is noticeable...0-60 in 13 sec., 1/4 in [email protected] Like I said, noticeable not awesome.

A note for the '88 200SX/SE-V6 owner that posted earlier. The Y-pipe has built in restrictors that are no more than 1 3/4" in diameter. The restricters are built into the flange that bolts to the manifold and actually extend about 1/2" into the manifold. You probably won't realize the full potential of a cat-back system unless/until you either torch those suckers out, replace the Y-pipe, or have new flanges (minus restrictors) welded on.

Still kicking myself for selling my '87 200SX/SE-V6. Miss the smooth as silk 100mph+ commute to work. Also really miss all the sideways driving. Nothing like having the ass end fishtail back and forth, the front wheels staying pointed down the road, and your hands off the wheel. The most fun was the rear slide driveway entrance maneuver, involved locking the rear wheels by downshifting into second and popping clutch as you turn into a driveway. Apply gas as soon as you are lined up and the slide stops and you shoot straight ahead. Scares the bejeezus out of anyone nearby but gets ya grinnin like a madman.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts