Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is going w/ a full cat system really worth the extra $200+ as far as performance? A sport muffler will give about 3-5 hp gain which is about equal to a full cat system if I am correct (unless you are Stillen and somehow gain 10-15 w/ a muffler.... :rolleyes:)? I have heard that a full cat exhaust system is only a must if one has heavy mods, is this true? Right now I'm running an HKS air intake and HS headers, will a Stillen sport muffler (or any other brand) suffice? Is the extra $200 worth it?

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
I have a B13, so I'm not recalling the bends on a B14 right now, but there are some significant bends on a B13 where you really don't want crush bends. I think that since you have the headers, the full cat back would be worth it since you are flowing considerably more gas through. What size is the exhaust now? The muffler is the key component, but it's all about flow and constant velocity of the exhaust gas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definately go with a full catback. The bends on the b14 are smaller in diameter than on a b13.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
Without a doubt, go for the catback. Trust me, more mods will be coming later and you will need the extra breathing room. And you will notice an increase w/ a full exhaust over doing a sport muffler at your current state of tune because of the header that you have. Go 4 it. :D

N

·
0 Posts
I would also say to go with the catback setup but you may want to look into getting a custom exhaust done. I am getting one this week, I found a place that will put together a setup using 2.25" piping with 2 mandrel bends using a dynamax ultra muffler and a catco high performance cat. It will all be flanged and nice looking and sounding. I felt that this was the best performance way to go for my car. Its just a thought.:cool:

John

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
A sport muffler will give about 3-5 hp gain which is about equal to a full cat system if I am correct (unless you are Stillen and somehow gain 10-15 w/ a muffler
I doubt that. 10hp tops for even the best catback. I know Rosen Autosports setup is surprising because it gains 10hp and that's better than any prefabbed cat-back on the market.

I have heard that a full cat exhaust system is only a must if one has heavy mods, is this true?
I've always been told and told others that exhaust is the last mod you should do if you're NA. Considering you've got an intake and header on, I'd say get a cat-back. Only other things you can really do NA is to get some cams, pullies and reprogram the ECU. Maybe throw in a nice clutch and lightweight flywheel. Advance your timing if you haven't already.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
zeno said:
Is going w/ a full cat system really worth the extra $200+ as far as performance? A sport muffler will give about 3-5 hp gain which is about equal to a full cat system if I am correct (unless you are Stillen and somehow gain 10-15 w/ a muffler.... :rolleyes:)? I have heard that a full cat exhaust system is only a must if one has heavy mods, is this true? Right now I'm running an HKS air intake and HS headers, will a Stillen sport muffler (or any other brand) suffice? Is the extra $200 worth it?
Zeno, since i dont know what you have into your car or what it looks like, my first mod would be wheels. wheels make the car.

would it be worth it? yes, but only if you do research on it first, find out what gives you your best bang for the buck and ask others what systems they have on their car also. ask to see dyno pulls if anyone has them with similiar mods like yours. research, them buy. you dont want to be the guinea pig of an exhaust system and find out the extra dough you put out didnt make much of a difference or no difference at all. if you research, you dont waste your valuable time or money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts