Nissan Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice work !! I thought I had read some where that the GA16i and GA16DE use the same engine block only the manifold and heads are different?? Would this swap be easier if you could swap the head and manifold from the DE engine??
This is exactly what I am planning to do...

Ya, I lived in a townhouse with those restrictions... not fun for car stuffs...

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Jst an update, all systems are still a go on the GA16E in the pulsar. It still runs great! I ended up giving the Pulsar away to my brother who was in need of a car, so I bought a new project car, a 1989 Nissan Sentra 2 door with only 59,000 original miles! The plan is to do this same swap plus some more work on the induction system. It seems that the 89-90 B12s have died lately, and most people have moved on. I wonder how man B12 owners are still around and interested in simple mods?
If there is enough interest I can post up some of my recent discoveries and tuning mods that I will be doing on the 2 door Sentra

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Glad to see you back !!

Just sold my 90 B12, step daughters BF asked me what I wanted for it and I told him $1K and he said ok, so, he just made the last payment ( he asked to split it into 3 payments), so it's there's now.

Also sold my 94 pathfinder a few weeks ago,

I'm Nissanless ( and vehicle less) right now ! Just got my wife a 2012 Mazda 3 so I'm using that to get to work until I can find a truck.

Looking for a 94-97 Hardbody king cab, 2wd, 5 speed 4 cylinder,

Anyway good to see you with a new project and a low mileage B12 too !! Good Find !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rarely post here, but just to let you folks know that my 1990 2door is still going strong at 450 000 km! I have been driving this car for 10 years now and still love it every time I get in.

Please keep us updated Bob! I'd love to do this swap some day.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Mr. bob89sentra sir,

wondering if you still come around these parts. I was curious, what kind of gas mileage do you get with all 4 injectors shooting gas at the same time. Still better than 25? I was about to try this, but then stopped driving my sentra for a while.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
In the Pulsar the average mileage in the city has been ~38 MPG and on the Highway I average ~46 MPG. It was getting 30MPG in the city before and 34 MPG on the highway before I did this swap. My sentra is getting about the same and I have not done this swap yet, but I have done some other mods for increased horsepower. Depending on your desires/ budget/ time, you could do this swap and gain some power and mileage.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Question due to my laziness and I don't want to break more things on my car...

My GA16i is having some rough days where idle goes extremely low, and I get loss of power at speed. Basically I push harder on the accelerator, and the car kind of stumbles instead of smoothly increasing RPM. Plug wires all look good (replaced recently). Decent compression across all cylinders.

How do I get the MAF off easily? Or how much of the throttle body do I disassemble to get to it? I noticed someone on this thread replaced the whole intake system so I came here first. Can't find good disassembly instructions studying the Service Manual.

- that guy with a PCV/ABS intake

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Galimba1,
There are only a few things that would cause your symptoms from my experience, the MAF (AFM) is one of those, bad fuel filter, fuel regulator or fuel pump, and ignition is the other.
The AFM is accessed by removing the upper and lower air filter housings and then there are two Phillips head screws on the passenger side of the Throttle body to remove the AFM.

If you can check fuel pressures while the ending is running, you should be at least 46 Psi at all times.
Even if your plug wires are brand new, I would take a bottle of soapy water (windex works great) and put it on stream and spray around the spark plugs and wires and distributor cap when it is dark. you will see if there is a problem. I have found that even new plug wires can have issues that give you stumbling issues.

From my experience 99% of the time your symptoms arise it is because of spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, or rotor issues.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
I'm looking into moving the MAF. Did you frankenstein a GA16DE MAF into the GA16i harness?

PS. Idle magically delicious again . . . I'll have to spend more time and effort on getting good airflow into the MAF. 3D printed TBI spacers? Yes please (for fit tests only, of course)

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I put the GA16DE MAF into my car. The only hiccup is that the GA16i MAF harness has two extra connections that are needed that the GA16DE sensor does not have (but the same connector is used).

The way I got around that was to put a resistor in between the two unused wires in the harness. I had about 5 spare MAFs for the old GA16i throttle body and I measured the resistance of each and they were within 3% of each other. Then I soldered in an equivalent resistor. Most resistors have a tolerance of 5% so I just went through a pile of them to find one that was the closest to the mean value. Basically, the GA16i sensor has a POT (adjustable resistor) behind a round metal cover that was used to calibrate the sensor. This resistance told the computer what the offsets were for that particular sensor. Since the GA16DE sensor does not have that I made an assumption that the offsets would be close to the same between sensor.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
As for your throttle body spacers, you can use the mixture preheater spacer and cut out the little basket and honeycomb heater element. I actually did this on my sentra, and the air flow improved a lot. The only negative I noticed was in the winter when first starting it was a little temperamental. If you have several mixture heater units you could cut the heater elements out and space the throttle body up by about 1/4" at a time.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
More updates

So it has been a long time since I have posted on here, but I have some updates.
I gave the Pulsar to my brother and about a year ago he stopped driving it. There is some kind of bug in the DE computer system that I have not had time to identify, so it just sits in my parents driveway for now.

I did this swap again on my daily driver 1989 Sentra 2 years ago (No headers, but NISMO eurosport cam). The past two years have been crazy busy with my getting my mechanical engineering degree, so I never got around to posting much, but the beast runs very strong.

Anyhow, for those who follow this swap, I chose to modify a DE manifold like it did for the Pulsar, and I stuck with the Sentra stock computer. The gremlins that appeared with the Pulsar throttle right around idle were a combination of the TPS being adjusted wrong, the idle air control being adjusted wrong, and my custom TPS with adjustable offset from the cabin of the car was adjusted out of range (advances ignition timing up to 20 extra degrees at low RPM). basically think of it as you open the throttle the idle switch (part of the TPS) says I am still idling, and when I reach 1/8 throttle all of a sudden the switch says I am not in idle mode, so it starts reading TPS signal. The TPS signal says that I have the throttle open further than just off idle, and I would get a bucking surge. This would happen all the time when I was cruising, because it was right in the range of throttle where I would have it while cruising. After a few adjustments it is smooth, and very powerful from 3500 RPM and above. I wish I could find some headers for this car, because it is a little less powerful at lower rpms, where the Pulsar has no noticeable lag below 3500 RPM, and that really was the only difference between the two engines.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts