61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
did you order this one: JDM GA15E

or this one?JDM GA15

cuz the second one listed is a ga15s.

and basically you're saying the GA15 head can rev higher?
The listing on E-bay said "JDM GA15DE", but the pictures showed a GA16I... yes they had pics of a GA16I with TBI.
I E-mailed them and they sent back that it was not a GA15DE they said it was a GA15E. At that point I decided to buy it, and when it arrived it was not like the description or the pictures. What I have most resembles the second one, but without the air box and only 50% of the accesories. I have already contacted them and they offered to return my money, but I have already gone through too much hassle to be picky about which intake manifold it has. I have decided to just use what I have and wish that I had the JDM MPFI manifold :mad:

And on the revving higher, I missinturpreted the info on bore/stroke, the GA15 has less bore than the GA16, I thought it had less stroke. So actually it should be the same as the GA16 for the Revvs. Ah well, I still think it will do great in the Pulsar with my MPFI.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
The listing on E-bay said "JDM GA15DE", but the pictures showed a GA16I... yes they had pics of a GA16I with TBI.
I E-mailed them and they sent back that it was not a GA15DE they said it was a GA15E. At that point I decided to buy it, and when it arrived it was not like the description or the pictures. What I have most resembles the second one, but without the air box and only 50% of the accesories. I have already contacted them and they offered to return my money, but I have already gone through too much hassle to be picky about which intake manifold it has. I have decided to just use what I have and wish that I had the JDM MPFI manifold :mad:

And on the revving higher, I missinturpreted the info on bore/stroke, the GA15 has less bore than the GA16, I thought it had less stroke. So actually it should be the same as the GA16 for the Revvs. Ah well, I still think it will do great in the Pulsar with my MPFI.
ok, reason i was wondering if it would rev higher is if the valvetrain is stronger, therefore handling higher revs. how much did the engine cost you? and did they say you had to pay the return shipping? cuz if not, it may be worth getting the money back and ordering the first one there for the MPFI manifold.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
ok, reason i was wondering if it would rev higher is if the valvetrain is stronger, therefore handling higher revs. how much did the engine cost you? and did they say you had to pay the return shipping? cuz if not, it may be worth getting the money back and ordering the first one there for the MPFI manifold.
$475 to my door, they did not say about the return shipping, anyway I could just buy the GA15E shipped for around $700, and that way I would have a spare engine...
I'd bet there are several people who have bought the GA15E from E-bay, and pulled the MFPI manifold off, and threw it away, or have it lying around.
As for the Mechanical lifters I do not think that they are any stronger than the Hydraullic lifters, but people who race small block chevy's tend to run solid lifters. I think you get better lift with the mechanical lifters even with lower oil pressure.
In any case it is too late to ship the engine back as I have allready stripped off the manifolds and am getting it ready to drop in the Pulsar.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Got it all together again, and have Just about worked out all the bugs. I am very pleased with the results, and now that I have gotten the O2 sensor loop to close it lookes like the mileage has gone way up! (Looks like almost 37MPG) When I go through the first tank and clock the mileage I will post back with the actual numbers.
I have all the info on the wiring, and the drawing for the TPS adapter, and am compiling a list of things needed to make the whole swap.
When I get 100% complete I will post a full write-up with pictures so that anyone can do this too.
Bob

·
Registered
573 Posts
you could mount a sr20de TB on the mpfi intake..all you have to do is bore out he manifold to match the TB...helps with throttle response! had it on my sentra with cams and exhaust..was a blast!
and great job with the Hoe-E-M modification! this is one of my favorite types of modifications!

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
you could mount a sr20de TB on the mpfi intake..all you have to do is bore out he manifold to match the TB...helps with throttle response! had it on my sentra with cams and exhaust..was a blast!
and great job with the Hoe-E-M modification! this is one of my favorite types of modifications!
Does said SR20DE TB hook up to the same TPS and coolant lines? What about the Rubber tube from MAF to TB? I think this might be fun to try too!

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I just drove it to see the back pressure; it is 5-6 PSI at the exhaust manifold from 4,000RPM-redline at full throttle. What is considered normal?
I don't really know, but it could be too high, I should do some more research...
I know the pulsar is lighter than the sentra, but it is so much quicker than the sentra there is almost no comparison. I am going to do some more searching and see what I find...
With open CAT it is now around 0.75 PSI max, so I have Identified the problem as the muffler. I will be putting on a inexpensive turbo muffler, and I should gain all the flow back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
With open CAT it is now around 0.75 PSI max, so I have Identified the problem as the muffler. I will be putting on a inexpensive turbo muffler, and I should gain all the flow back.
my i suggets a magnaflow muffler
check out
Magnaflow Performance | Discount Performance Auto Parts | Performance Exhaust Systems | Flowmaster Performance Mufflers
and use the code EBAYROCKS

i have used this site several times in the past(i am notorious for my side exit exhuast on my b13!)have made couple others...they have good prices and ship fast!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does said SR20DE TB hook up to the same TPS and coolant lines? What about the Rubber tube from MAF to TB? I think this might be fun to try too!
i had to mount the tps in reverse and the coolant lines match(i had done the coolant line by pass mod....) only other thing i had to do was "gently" bend the vacuum line on the intake on the side where the tps mounts and trimmed the connector so it would fit on (was quite easy)
the rubber hose to the tb between the maf i took a sauce pot and heated up about 2" of water to boiling put the end of the hose in there for a few minutes to heat it up and then slipped it onto the tb...its a tight fit but it goes on took two tries the first time to get it right...lol it will hold the shape just fine after it cools down on the TB.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Project GA16E sitll going

Well, it has been a long while, time for an update...
I have been traveling over the last 6 months and have had only a few weeks at home. I did resolve the back pressure issue, it was a combination of muffler and tailpipe. I am running a new cat-back exhaust with 1 3/8" pipe, and have no back pressure issues anymore. I have also hooked up the last of the sensors on the MPFI manifold, and have this baby purring at idle around 850-900 RPM. Upon acceleration it feels exactly like the GA16I in my sentra untill I hit 3,400 RPM then you get the pull where you can feel the seat pushing on your back. The power band seems to drop off near 5,000 RPM, but it still has some "GO" even up to 6,700 RPM. I am now running some tests on combustion temperature on each cylinder, and found that one of my cylinders (no3) is not running right, the exhaust temp is 300 degrees F lower than the others. I suspect that I might have a bad or dirty injector, or even a spark plug issue.
I am now running the Pulsar as my daily driver, so I have been doing measurements on everything to see where I need to improve next.
I believe I have solved all the isues I had with MAF, TPS, and AAC/FICD, and probably the Oxygen sensor, so I am moving on to the injectors, and then I will look at manifold vacuum at wide open throttle to see if I might want to do the SR20 throttle body swap to increase the flow even more on the manifold. Other than that I think I have achieved a very reliable and effective way to get a little more out of a GA16I without all the hassle of swapping the computer and wiring (which I might do next anyway)
Untill next time,
Bob

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Have been thinking on my Injection issue, and had a DUH DUH DUH moment!
I am running 4 injectors in Paralell, and they are not all the same (from 3 different donor cars) and I'll bet that cylinder number 3 is getting flooded with gas, which is why the O2 sensor cannot correct it properly without leaning the other 3 out too far!
Off to the Auto Wrecker I go for some more injectors!

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Have been thinking on my Injection issue, and had a DUH DUH DUH moment!
I am running 4 injectors in Paralell, and they are not all the same (from 3 different donor cars) and I'll bet that cylinder number 3 is getting flooded with gas, which is why the O2 sensor cannot correct it properly without leaning the other 3 out too far!
Off to the Auto Wrecker I go for some more injectors!
ahah! good deductive reasoning bob!

i have one question again... did you get a distributor with your "JDM GA15"??

does it happen to be a vacuum advance dizzy?

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
ahah! good deductive reasoning bob!

i have one question again... did you get a distributor with your "JDM GA15"??

does it happen to be a vacuum advance dizzy?
It did have a vacuum advance distributer, but was broken in half at some point. I did not keep any of the parts of the engine that were damaged though.

As for the injectors!
WOW! I bought 4 mached injectors and soaked them for a few days in Injector cleaner, and bought new O-rings and installed them. Thus far it has increased the smotheness of the power (no sudden increase at 3,500 RPM, just solid pull from just above Idle all the way up), and my last tank of gas I averaged 32MPG in the city.
I will run a few more tanks of gas through it over the next few weeks, I have high hopes for this baby!
The bad news is I seem to be leaking oil at an alarming rate of 1.5 quarts per 300 miles, and upon investigation I found that the JDM engine has a big crack in the timing cover that was covered up with silver RTV :confused:
I allready have the new cover coming my way thanks to E-bay, and will be installing it next weekend.

·
Registered
573 Posts
sounded like an injector problem...glad you got it fixed! good luck with the cover!

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
BTW nothing brings a grin to my face more than when I am passing all the V6's with my little 1,500CC engine GRRRRR :)

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I did a little more research, and testing on the Pulsar this weekend.
I have come to the conclusion that a SR20 throttle body would not bring any signifficant gain to the HP, and probbably would loose some throttle response. With the stock GA16DE TB on the MPFI manifold I hooked a vacuum gauge in place of the carbon canister, which supplies vacuum from immediatly after the butterfly. At 6,700 RPM climbing a steep hill I have 0 inches of vacuum with the throttle at 7/8- 100% open. This means that the air filter, MAF, and TB are big enough to supply sufficient air under the highest RPMs under high load.
Since I have fixed the back pressure issues on the exhaust and have sufficient flow there, I think the next place of restriction would be the cam/ head/valves. I had almost forgotten about the GA16I NISMO EURO cam, that boasts an aditional 20 HP over the stock GA16I cam. I decided that would be my next step, and have ordered it.
I really want to Dyno this setup again before I do the EURO cam swap, to get some real numbers for both setups, but I probbably will wait till after the EURO cam swap, and get the final results. I just hate to go off how the engine feels, rather than concrete numbers that show the gains/ losses of a particular swap or modification.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts