Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum folks,

My 4-door 94 XE has an annoying problem, namely, it didn't come with a fold-down rear seat. This makes moving certain cargo, in particular snowboards, with more than 2 passengers, really really annoying. My tint has some scratches from the battle so far.

Anyways, I am thinking to mod the back seat to create a sort of cargo hatch in the middle of the seat so that long objects can be inserted through the trunk and into between the front seats.

In looking at the puzzle I see a couple possible problems:

1) There is a stabilizer bar across the back/middle of the seats attached to the body. I noticed parallel holes higher up on the body, so I'm thinking I could install it up there (its around 8 inches higher up) instead - will it still work as intended? Is ride affected?

2) Does chopping out some foam and clipping the steel cable to make a hole render the seat unsafe?

3) Did any B13's come with fold-down back seats and if so, is it possible to swap one in instead? If they had fold-downs, where would the stabilizer have been mounted?

Any stories or insight would be greatly appreciated before I start hacking away. ahem!

D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cargo Hatch

Dan9 said:
Hey forum folks,

My 4-door 94 XE has an annoying problem, namely, it didn't come with a fold-down rear seat. This makes moving certain cargo, in particular snowboards, with more than 2 passengers, really really annoying. My tint has some scratches from the battle so far.

Anyways, I am thinking to mod the back seat to create a sort of cargo hatch in the middle of the seat so that long objects can be inserted through the trunk and into between the front seats.

1) There is a stabilizer bar across the back/middle of the seats attached to the body. I noticed parallel holes higher up on the body, so I'm thinking I could install it up there (its around 8 inches higher up) instead - will it still work as intended? Is ride affected?

2) Does chopping out some foam and clipping the steel cable to make a hole render the seat unsafe?

3) Did any B13's come with fold-down back seats and if so, is it possible to swap one in instead? If they had fold-downs, where would the stabilizer have been mounted?

Any stories or insight would be greatly appreciated before I start hacking away. ahem!

D
_____ -- 3) No, never heard of one, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Ok, OK,,,,,,,,,,You can do this..You need a friend with a shop. Might want to float him a couple of dollars. However, before cutting out THeeee,,,,, what you call,,,, "the Stabilizer Bar", you need to look up in the Trunk Pan, well trunk...Then, find a space between the speakers and the trunk springs on both sides, and grind the area down to the metal,,,, then clean by blowing off with compressor, and or wiping with clean rag and some laquer thinner.

You will need a bar that can be cut too fit between these spots. Might try Stabilizer bars. mount them or weld them,"with any neccassary mods" into place, and then you can cut out that brace. This will provide even better support, and provide the space needed for your custom Rear Seat...

Unless your very good with interiors, you will need a good, I will repeat,,, good shop!!

This shop or yourself, will have to find another make or model of back seat, and or, Modify the current one too fit the vehicle.

I wish you the best. You can do this, If you have the plan, the equipment, or know someone that does, "and the will to do it", ,,,Welll,,,,,I,,TTT will be DONE!!!!!!

Keep up the thinking........ :cheers:

P.S. For a bit more twisting support, after you get the seat installed or at least marked...... weld a bar from the cross bar down too the frame....on both sides of the new flip down. GET R DUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for Starters!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Small models

Dan9 said:
Hey forum folks,

D
I would look at Kia's or early datsuns,like B210 and find someone whom knows how to do interiors well. I have my own,,,but not much good at is distance,,,,,HeHeeee

·
Registered
114 Posts
B13's did come with fold down back seats!

I have a 94 Limited Edition 4 door and the back seat folds down in two sections. I haul lumber in it all the time. A swap from one of these could be cheaper, but you'd have to find the seats in good condition, correct color and low price.

Good luck!

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips

OK folks thanks for the tips on this. My sister's boyfriend and one of my buddies both weld metal and their company deals with lots of scrap so for a proper set of braces maybe they can help me.

I'm going to start hunting for a fold-down back seat from a 94 in the scrapyard

peace

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
My '93 GXE has 60/40 fold down.

However, it's the WORST fold down seats EVER! The opening is tiny... I can't transport too much with it. In my Pony, you could bring the entire seat down and transport a WIDE variety of items! In my winter beater pony I transported an engine/Tranny combo (RWD so the tranny is nice and long) and a 2 ton engine hoist. The suspension would have probably bottomed, but leaf springs rule!

When taking the seats out of a junkyard car, take the middle brace out too so that you have something to mount the middle of the seats to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts