Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ll give the history 1st.i bought this car about 6years ago.it sit off and on for 2years.then i drove it 800miles then parked it for 2yrs.i had a brake job done on it.then drove it to florida from oklahoma.it has been driven a liitle here and there for about 6 months.then sat for another year.now ive been driving it for about 2months.the oil was changed 3 times during its sitting and again before i drove it to fl.the oil light has flicked on when cold or idles real low,which has started doing lately.okay i did a full tune up and changed the oil.i used 20w50 and lucas the 1st time.when i recranked it after the change it was loud as the valves were clattering.i shut the car down.then proceeded to add some engine flush and drain the oil.then did another oil and filter change.after the second change it quietened down alot and after a few mins the oil light went off.so thinking okay it queit but not quite the same as before.so then o proceeded to flush the engine once more.the engine has 165000 miles on it.figured a good cleaning wouldnt hurt and the instruction said it was safe.did a nwe oil change and a fresh filter.now when its cranked its loud and clattery again and the oil light is on again.but now if you bring it up to 2200 rpms the light goes out.somebody please help i dont want to ruin the motor.any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
dmdg5000 said:
i ll give the history 1st.i bought this car about 6years ago.it sit off and on for 2years.then i drove it 800miles then parked it for 2yrs.i had a brake job done on it.then drove it to florida from oklahoma.it has been driven a liitle here and there for about 6 months.then sat for another year.now ive been driving it for about 2months.the oil was changed 3 times during its sitting and again before i drove it to fl.the oil light has flicked on when cold or idles real low,which has started doing lately.okay i did a full tune up and changed the oil.i used 20w50 and lucas the 1st time.when i recranked it after the change it was loud as the valves were clattering.i shut the car down.then proceeded to add some engine flush and drain the oil.then did another oil and filter change.after the second change it quietened down alot and after a few mins the oil light went off.so thinking okay it queit but not quite the same as before.so then o proceeded to flush the engine once more.the engine has 165000 miles on it.figured a good cleaning wouldnt hurt and the instruction said it was safe.did a nwe oil change and a fresh filter.now when its cranked its loud and clattery again and the oil light is on again.but now if you bring it up to 2200 rpms the light goes out.somebody please help i dont want to ruin the motor.any suggestions?
Sorry to hear about your problem.
I think its possible you have a stuck pressure relief valve from the symptoms, this is normally built into the Oil Pump. or a badly worn Oil pump.
You also mentioned that before it got better after some time, do you still have thin Oil from the engine flush?
Over the years I have heard lots of discussion and stories on Engine flush treatments, most of them bad. Unless you have a good reason to do this I would advise not to.

I agree that a worn Oil pump is very unusual on any Car, they are robust and lets face it well lubricated with little load compared to other components in the Engine.
Can you check the oil pessure with a gauge ? you remove the Oil pressure switch and screw a gauage there.
Also you can remove the pressure relief valve assembly, its under a nut on the front case just above and forward from the front crankshaft seal. See FSM LC-15.
Let us know what you find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts