Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idhitit:i have a 97 sentra gxe with the 1.6 and wanna go faster lol what can i do as far as parts wise or maybe a different motor what will ft and what will i have to change or custumize in order to do that

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
If i ever had to do it again with a 1.6, id spray it.

Do some minor mods, intake, header, exhaust... and a 50-75 wet shot with a MSD #8982 Start/retard controller.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
why spray? i've thought about a 50 shot for my 12 valve.
Cause the 1.6 isnt worth building n/a or turbo in my eyes, nitrous can be had for cheap and powerful if done right.

Im probably going to put a 50 shot on my sr20de+t.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If i ever had to do it again with a 1.6, id spray it.

Do some minor mods, intake, header, exhaust... and a 50-75 wet shot with a MSD #8982 Start/retard controller.
What kind of numbers where you making after thoughts mods

·
Registered
74 Posts
2dr_sentra's default for built GA's is "spray the livin' shit outta it" lol
If staying Ga turbo it with the TSI kit and add a few bolt-on mods like intake exhaust and boost controller(its a givin with turbo cars). Use a small snail so that it'll still spool within the GA's narrow powerband and streetablilty won't be sacrificed. If you want another motor you could do and sr swap or you could be somewhat unique and (as I've said before) drop an altima VQ35de into it. that'll be a sleeper for sure and to be powerful in a sentra you won't have to really mod it. just my thoughts though.
-mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
:banana::banana::banana:I hear you. But how much power can u really squeez out of a ga. ive been think about saving up for a sr20 and having it bore out by a machine shop.... idk but i also like the altima vq35de idea too

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
what kind of numbers coiuld a ga16 make with those kind of mods you mentioned.
Honestly, i have no idea. Ive never really dug into a ga16de before other than just a cai and a whole lot of rebuilding.

2dr_sentra's default for built GA's is "spray the livin' shit outta it" lol
If staying Ga turbo it with the TSI kit and add a few bolt-on mods like intake exhaust and boost controller(its a givin with turbo cars). Use a small snail so that it'll still spool within the GA's narrow powerband and streetablilty won't be sacrificed. If you want another motor you could do and sr swap or you could be somewhat unique and (as I've said before) drop an altima VQ35de into it. that'll be a sleeper for sure and to be powerful in a sentra you won't have to really mod it. just my thoughts though.
-mike
True that homie. But the only thing good about that Tsi kit that i think is useful is the turbo manifold.

V6 swap isnt practical AT ALL. Justin went full aem standalone EMS which by it self is about $1600 when he did his 3.5L. Which is probably the easiest way for him to go. Every piece on that car is custom.

A perfect turbo setup for a ga16de i think-

T25 turbo
370cc injectors
N60 maf (draw through)
Jwt ecu/calum/safc
2inch hotside/2.25inch coldside intercooler piping
1g dsm bov recirc
ebay fmic
2.5 turbo back exhaust

Thats exactly how i would build mine. Its very simple and very affordable.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
A perfect turbo setup for a ga16de i think-

T25 turbo
370cc injectors
N60 maf (draw through)
Jwt ecu/calum/safc
2inch hotside/2.25inch coldside intercooler piping
1g dsm bov recirc
ebay fmic
2.5 turbo back exhaust

Thats exactly how i would build mine. Its very simple and very affordable.
you can order the TSI kit directly from TSI with an upgraded turbo. when i was looking at boosting for my 12 valve (after EFI swap) i asked them how much it would be for the extreme kit with a T25BB instead of the T20, and they said $2700 USD. thats pretty decent. only an extra $300 for a major upgrade on the turbo.

from there its a good condition junkyard or ebay N60 maf, the injectors, and the ECU tune.

plus your clutch, boost controller, turbo timer, a/f gauge, etc.

i priced out a turbo GA thats done properly and its about $5000.

but with a good tune and 370cc injectors, you can probably make some really good power with that T25bb.

as far as all motor GA, its cheaper (though not much if you go with ITB's) but nowhere near the power.

bore .040 over
10-11:1 pistons
forged con-rods (16DE con-rods are tiiiny)
port and polished head (make sure they use a flow bench)
port matched manifolds (intake AND exhaust)
hot shot header (if you can find, if not, the Ebay/OBX is actually better than pacesetter)
hot shot CAI (or make your own designed after it)
fidanza 7lb flywheel
JWT cams or custom regrind
2.25" header back exhaust.
light spray
weight reduce the shit outta the car

IF ITBs:
extrudabody ITBs ($1350)
standalone EMS, either eManage or MegaSquirt.

you can use a JWT tune of you use a plenum with a maf hooked up to it for the ITBs.

its debateable whether a plenum hinders or helps ITBs. you don't have the wide open air sucking, but you get cold air instead of warm air, and good air horns should still create a decent venturi affect.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
you can order the TSI kit directly from TSI with an upgraded turbo. when i was looking at boosting for my 12 valve (after EFI swap) i asked them how much it would be for the extreme kit with a T25BB instead of the T20, and they said $2700 USD. thats pretty decent. only an extra $300 for a major upgrade on the turbo.
I could peice together my setup for less than that. Only peice i would want from the Tsi kit is the manifold.

plus your clutch, boost controller, turbo timer, a/f gauge, etc.
Clutch yes you need to upgrade if making a decent amount of power over stock, boost controller isnt a necessity cause the wastegate will determine the psi (probably 7psi), turbo timer same thing, let your car idle for 30 seconds before you shut it off, i drove around for a yeah with out one, wideband also yes its very good to have but isnt 100% needed.

i priced out a turbo GA thats done properly and its about $5000.
Thats to much for to little power. Youll be lucky to see 200whp with a T25 setup on a ga16de, and trust me i mean lucky. The hotshot kit that was put on project cars 200sx se, only made 162whp. Which you can do with a N/A sr20de with bolt ons.

as far as all motor GA, its cheaper (though not much if you go with ITB's) but nowhere near the power.

bore .040 over
10-11:1 pistons
forged con-rods (16DE con-rods are tiiiny)
port and polished head (make sure they use a flow bench)
port matched manifolds (intake AND exhaust)
hot shot header (if you can find, if not, the Ebay/OBX is actually better than pacesetter)
hot shot CAI (or make your own designed after it)
fidanza 7lb flywheel
JWT cams or custom regrind
2.25" header back exhaust.
light spray
weight reduce the shit outta the car
Ive read somewhere you cant bore the ga16de to much. Wiseco/Ross makes a few aftermarket pistons for the 1.6, once again alot of work for a motor thats not really worth it.

As far as headwork goes, the b14 ga16de head has larger intake ports, straight lines, and are evenly spaced. The b14 head is good for about 5hp more than the b13 head. Head work cost ALOT of money.

IF ITBs:
extrudabody ITBs ($1350)
standalone EMS, either eManage or MegaSquirt.
You could swap a DE(motor, trans, ecu, wiring harness, axles, motormounts, etc) in there for $1350 and make way more power and have a foundation to build from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oh ok i was just wonderin. i had heard that a turbo ga mak about 150 hp after dropin like $2000 on a tubro kit and everthing. Or Spend the money on an sr swap which makes 140 hp stock i belive and then do some add on's idk im no expert at this suff:idhitit:

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I hate to break it to anyone, but if you want more than 250+ hp in a Sentra, you are somewhat crazy, especially on B11-B13 chassis cars. First, nothing on the vehicle is rated for that sort of horsepower, and everything from ball-joints to control arm bushings are going to blow out. Second, the chassic flex is going to be unbelievable. Third, there is no point! In a car that weighs (in most cases) close to a ton or less than, 250hp is more than enough! So, dropping an SR20 in something is not always the solution! Stop whoring out the idea. Yes, the SR20 is a great engine, but so is the GA16. If you want a good GA16DET for under $1000 here it is: T25 turbo ($150-$200), TSI turbo manifold ($400), 259cc injectors ($25), blow-off valve ($25), Walbro 255lph fuel pump ($90), and S-AFC 2 ($200). All of these components can be had in great shape off eBay for much cheaper than listed prices. I myself pieced all these pieces together, and I have a good, solid GA16DET at 8 lbs of boost with around 200hp. By the way, it beats Volkswagen GTis all day long (the turbo ones, folks). My whole kit cost me about $500 total. P.S. don't buy a wideband, just borrow one from a friend.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
I could peice together my setup for less than that. Only peice i would want from the Tsi kit is the manifold.
I know you could, but someone who needs more of a bolt-on application for them and everything in one go, the TSI kit is a reliable option.

Clutch yes you need to upgrade if making a decent amount of power over stock, boost controller isnt a necessity cause the wastegate will determine the psi (probably 7psi), turbo timer same thing, let your car idle for 30 seconds before you shut it off, i drove around for a yeah with out one, wideband also yes its very good to have but isnt 100% needed.
anyone that wants more powere needs a controller:p, and a time is just good practice. if you're daily driving the car, there are going to times when youre going to need to leave the car as soon as you're parked, ie late for work lol.

Ive read somewhere you cant bore the ga16de to much. Wiseco/Ross makes a few aftermarket pistons for the 1.6, once again alot of work for a motor thats not really worth it.
you are right about that, and .040" over is the maximum :)

As far as headwork goes, the b14 ga16de head has larger intake ports, straight lines, and are evenly spaced. The b14 head is good for about 5hp more than the b13 head. Head work cost ALOT of money.
the GA's head issues are in the exhaust side, not the intake side. very poorly proportioned. headwork IS expensive, but its also a compounding mod. you get more power out of other mods with a well worked head.

You could swap a DE(motor, trans, ecu, wiring harness, axles, motormounts, etc) in there for $1350 and make way more power and have a foundation to build from.
If you mean SR20DE, unfortunately up in western Canada I can't really. NX2000's, and G20t's are stupid rare. B13/14 SE-R's don't even exist around where i live! and ordering stuff, i'd spend $2000-$3000 + easily.

if i was going SR swap, it would be SR16VE with N1 cams.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I hate to break it to anyone, but if you want more than 250+ hp in a Sentra, you are somewhat crazy, especially on B11-B13 chassis cars.
Yeah if your building a ga16de(t).

First, nothing on the vehicle is rated for that sort of horsepower, and everything from ball-joints to control arm bushings are going to blow out. Second, the chassic flex is going to be unbelievable. Third, there is no point! In a car that weighs (in most cases) close to a ton or less than, 250hp is more than enough!
Maybe in a B11, B12 chassis... because of its age. But the B13 can handle can handle a whole lot more than 250hp.

So, dropping an SR20 in something is not always the solution! Stop whoring out the idea. Yes, the SR20 is a great engine, but so is the GA16.
You're absolutely right, but im comparing the cost these people are throwing out, such as $1300-5000. Thats crazy amounts to spend on a ga16de. Mod vs mod SR is just a much better way to go.

Im finished with this thread. This could go on forever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts