Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, one of my friends claims that putting mothballs in your gas tank is like using racing fuel. And I thought i was retarded. He says it is like a 10 octane increase or something like that. He has never done it (he drives a POS Ford that we like to call the "HELL-RANGER" ) that thing chatters like a bunch of squirrels.
Has anybody ever heard of this? I told him he was crazy, I just need someone else to back me up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeeah of course mothballs in the tank. Add sugar too and it gives you an extra 25 hp

Just kidding, dont put anything in your tank except for fuel

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
SentraDragon said:
Yeeah of course mothballs in the tank. Add sugar too and it gives you an extra 25 hp

Just kidding, dont put anything in your tank except for fuel
Funny you mention sugar. A couple of months ago at work I had to clean an entire fuel system and replace a fuel pump due to a pissed off ex-girlfriend with a bag of sugar. Hehe, it was a Civic too. I hated to fix it, but thats what I get paid for.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
The major constituent of mothballs is naphthalene, a bicyclic aromatic hydrocarbon. It has a pump octane of about 95.

Back in the '30s when a high-grade gasoline had an octane of 70, mothballs were a great way to allow the founding fathers of hot-rodders to up their compression ratio from the common 6:1.

Considering you can buy 91 octane anywhere and 95 in some places, mothballs are not the hot ticket for fuel improvement. Aromatics are not clean burning and leave soot in the combustion chamber. Not to mention mothballs are not pure naphthalene; who knows what kind of crap will not dissolve and thus stay in your gas tank.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
bahearn said:
who knows what kind of crap will not dissolve and thus stay in your gas tank.

Rocks and Baby Turtles that look like rocks WILL NOT dissolve in your gas tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
so the end result is some stuff will dissolve and riun your gas lines?

jr

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
so the end result is some stuff will dissolve and riun(sic) your gas lines?
Some stuff won't dissolve and leave sludge to foul the fuel filter in the tank. Maybe. Find out yourself. Get a mothball, drop into a bucket of gasoline and see if it dissolves completely. Then, waste your money on a tank of 91-octane and leave the mothballs in the closet.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
bahearn said:
Get a mothball, drop into a bucket of gasoline and see if it dissolves completely.
And while your at it.. Drop some soap flakes and styrofoam into the gas as well to make some home made napalm! Believe you me, NAPALM will always solve roadside disputes...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mothballs in your fuel tank will increase the amount of HYDROGEN in your gasoline. Your car will run like a bat out of hell for a couple thousand miles maybe. Then BOOM. You'll break something.

The Hydrogen causes something called Embrittlement. The metal in your engine turns real brittle and then breaks up.

Not recommended, unless you're scrapping the car soon. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the responsible thing to do given that you might be selling it sometime on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.