Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been getting used to my "new" sentra and burned a half tank a at 70 miles and a week or so before it was getting excellent gas mileage so I figured its the user *me* and was wondering, What is the best speed/rpm to change gears at 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th for best fuel economy. and also what is the speed to change gears for maximum acceleration. The car is a 92 sentra se-r

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
The fuel gauge can be inaccurate. So if you're at 1/2 tank after 70 miles, you probably actually have more gas than you think because that would be around 10-11 mpg! Try to calculate your mileage based on fill up to fill up. As for shifting, for fuel mileage earlier is probably better. Keep the revs as little as possible without letting the RPMs get too low. Basically don't lug the engine. My car doesn't have a tachometer so I can't really give you any numbers. Unless you do lots of city driving you'll probably find yourself winding the 1.6 (you didn't specify, but I'm assuming) out to get some acceptable acceleration. :)

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I agree with Scott, don't rap it out, but don't shift too early either. I'm assuming you've got a GA16DE motor, and all I can do is tell you about my experiences with my XE and that motor. The powerband for that motor seems to be rather narrow but is between 3K and 5K rpms. So I'd say, for fuel efficiency, shift around 3500-4000 rpms, regardless of the gear. If you're wanting acceleration, shift around 5000-5500, anything after that doesn't feel like it's making much power, just noise. Give it a try and see how it feels, you'll get the feel for what works.

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
shift at 2500-3000 rpm and do not use 5th gear until you get to 55 MPH.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Regardless of what the others said, for all-out fuel economy shift as early as possible. Obviously, more rpm requires more fuel in a linear fashion; friction, on the other hand, rises geometrically with rpm. Also, lower rpm means larger throttle openings which reduce pumping losses.

For all-out performance, shift at red-line or a little above. SE-R tachometers read fast. Mine indicated 8,200 rpm when it touched the fuel cut-off at a true 7,800 rpm. You won't hurt the motor until 8,200 rpm true or thereabouts; that's when shims get spit out from under the cam followers and then you start breaking followers and HLAs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts