Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got in from doing most of a tune up (distributer is on order). Second plug I went to replace didn't go so well. The rubber tube piece at the bottom of the plug wire stayed down with the spark plug. And of course I didn't realize this until after I'd tried to remove the plug. I have one of those long cable type grabbers but I can't hook on anything with it.

Any ideas on how I can get the crap out of there so I can finish the tune up? The last time I had this happen was on a Celica and I just had a local garage do it. I'll pay a garage before I tear the engine apart.

Oh, the car does idle better even with only 3 plugs & wires replaced.

I probably should mention that this is on a 94 Sentra with the 1.6L. And I did run a couple of forum wide searches and didn't find anything remotely close. I know that I can't be the only person who's had this issue with a DOHC engine.

Steelheart

·
Registered
485 Posts
If most the cable came off try getting fishing pliers, or just any pair of 8" thin pliers. Try to look into the plug shaft with a flashlight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the same thought I had about the fishing pliers. I'll find out tomorrow if it worked (been busy since I posted and just got home).

If the fish hook remover doesn't work then I'm hunting for some long thin pliers.

Steelheart

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it!

Well, the fish hook remover didn't work. The stamped metal jaws were too bulky to get a grip.

What did work was a set of long dental pick type things from Sears. Went in with a 90 degree probe and just pulled it right out.

Craftsman 4 piece pick set:
Craftsman 4 pc. Pick Set - Model CHP4-L at Sears.com

Steelheart

·
Registered
485 Posts
Cool good to know. That isnt a common problem but I dont tend to get easy or common probs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts