Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 200SX SER 2.0 engine, 158,000 miles
new plugs, cap, rotor, ignition wire.

cyl#1 misfire, I took it to the shop, the mechanic said he thinks it causes by the injector, and given the hi-milage of the car, told me not to fix it.

What do you guys think? How much will it cost to fix it?
Does it worth fixing at all? I still get about 29-30 mpg.
I bought this car about 3months/3K miles ago.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Pull the plugs and compare the #1 with the others. It should tell if the #1 is running rich or lean.

Did you use NGK plugs? Some other brands have misfiring problems on the SR20.

Lew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lshadoff said:
Pull the plugs and compare the #1 with the others. It should tell if the #1 is running rich or lean.

Did you use NGK plugs? Some other brands have misfiring problems on the SR20.

Lew
I use 4 Bosch platinum plugs, but only cyl#1 has problem.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
FmrLCpl said:
I use 4 Bosch platinum plugs, but only cyl#1 has problem.
After you pull the plugs to check thir condition, swap #1 with another cylinder to see if the misfire moves to that cylinder.

Lew

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
FmrLCpl said:
1996 200SX SER 2.0 engine, 158,000 miles
new plugs, cap, rotor, ignition wire.

cyl#1 misfire, I took it to the shop, the mechanic said he thinks it causes by the injector, and given the hi-milage of the car, told me not to fix it.

What do you guys think? How much will it cost to fix it?
Does it worth fixing at all? I still get about 29-30 mpg.
I bought this car about 3months/3K miles ago.
hells yah you should fix it! $70 injector vs $3000 car, i dunno its close. lol. he doesn't know what hes talking about...and i wouldnt' take your car back there, ever. (see footnote)

its only $68(?) for the injector and the labor is free because its extremely easy to do at home. make sure you depressurize the fuel system before removing the injector, otherwise the pressure will push fuel into your intake manifold and make your engine very unhappy.

but you have to make sure its the injector, i wouldnt' take THAT mecahnics word for it(im guessing he was at midas). do what ishadoff tells you to do in order to isolate the problem, hes very good.

footnote: some mechanics are stuckup snobs who let their own eletist blood get in the way of peoples/customers best interest. also, any mechanic who says it's "too old" is retard. he should know that age and condition are not the same thing. maybe if your car was over 200k it would be "too old"...but not at 160K, you've still got a good 4 years of service left in that beast.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bosh suck on sr20de, i ran ones a coupple of bosh, damn, burn in like a month, ngk are the best :D che the spark plug, sometimes, they are in bad shape even if they are new, i ones bought some, and the car starting shaking, it was one on the cables, it was lose of the side od the electrode, fixed and car runs great

1 - 8 of 8 Posts