Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the best to buy? not for heavy work, but just to mess around and practice and learn on, mainly just to get some experience on welding and fabrication

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
I have a Lincoln SP135T MIG that I make all of my parts out of. It's big enough to do up to about 5/16" steel, and I've welded up tons of stuff at 1/4".

they'll run you about $500 at most places, then you'll need about $250 worth of extras.. Gas bottle is about $150, good welding mask is about $40 ($100 if you get auto dimming :thumbsup:), more wire $30 a roll, anti-spatter gel is a few $, good welding gloves, $20....

so expect to spend $750-1000 for a decent MIG setup. double that if you want to go to a TIG setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got a lincoln 135. I bought it at home depot. I think it was like $400. It's 120volts, it'll weld up to 5/16" it's all around pretty good. you do not need a bottle of argon to weld, I have one and don't use it. I use rosin core wire, the core of it has flux in it, which cools the material you're welding, same idea as gas. It's much cheaper. to fill a small argon/mix bottle will run you about $70. to buy a roll of rosincore is about $10. look for a used welder first, I've seen them pretty cheap in a local newspaper. just another suggestion.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Meh.. the rosin core wire sucks balls. makes ugly welds.

A bottle of argon costs about $150 up front for the bottle and gas, and I pay $18 to fill mine up each time.

your roll of wire.. a 1lb roll of rosin core wire costs $10. I buy a 10lb roll of solid wire for $19.. Honestly, the gas and solid wire will go a LOT farther for your money, and it produces better results.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Matt93SE said:
Meh.. the rosin core wire sucks balls. makes ugly welds.

A bottle of argon costs about $150 up front for the bottle and gas, and I pay $18 to fill mine up each time.

your roll of wire.. a 1lb roll of rosin core wire costs $10. I buy a 10lb roll of solid wire for $19.. Honestly, the gas and solid wire will go a LOT farther for your money, and it produces better results.
I will agree; a bottle of shielding gas also makes it possible to weld a larger variety of metals, depending on the gas and wire you choose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts