Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my oil changed the other day and they did I think it was maintenance 2 on it.

They phoned me at work and said it didnt even have a microfilter. They said they have seen a few trucks that is missing the microfilter.

These things arent cheap, but do I really need one. Im not worried about pollen and dust in the truck, and Ive been living without it for over 2 years now.

Will it affect anything else besides air quality, or does it stop dtuff from getting in the blower motor, etc

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I got my oil changed the other day and they did I think it was maintenance 2 on it.

They phoned me at work and said it didnt even have a microfilter. They said they have seen a few trucks that is missing the microfilter.

These things arent cheap, but do I really need one. Im not worried about pollen and dust in the truck, and Ive been living without it for over 2 years now.

Will it affect anything else besides air quality, or does it stop dtuff from getting in the blower motor, etc
You don't need it, besides some models don't come with them (2) installed. Z

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
You'll want it as soon as you see the crap it catches! Put one in and when it's time to replace it, look at ALL of the crap on it, you'll be glad you put one in!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so we have one that says dont bother and another that says get it. But if Ive gone without it for 2.5 years what it hurting not having it. Besides the fact more money will be in my wallet

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Well I'll add my thoughts and probably muddy the waters more.

My truck was one of the many that did not have the filters installed at the factory -- it's part of an option package now, isn't it?

Anyway, at 15k I decided to "replace" mine.

At 35k I replaced them again. The ones I took out were fairly dirty and had some large objects (an insect or two, a small leaf or two, etc.).

Now, I'd have to go and stick my head under the dash to confirm it, but I think that the filters are on the "outside" of the blower motor. That is, the blower motor sucks air through the filters rather than pushing it through them. So, the filters would protect the blower motor from some of those "large" objects. On the negative side, if the motor has to pull air through the filters, it has to work harder (especially as the filter clog up). So, which is easier/harder on the blower motor? I have no clue. But, FWIW, I've decided I'm going to change my filters every 20k or so.

Oh, I've noticed no difference between the first 15k miles w/o filters and the remaining 25k with as far as "air quality" goes. Not surprising since the windows are open so much of the year; dust gets in the upholstery and everywhere else then.

Finally, there was a thread (I think on this forum) that talked about saving some money by keeping the filter frame and replacing the filter material with material cut from a house filter. I don't know whether that is a good or bad idea, but I do know that the filters I bought (from Nissan) did not lend themseleves to that kind of modification.

How's that for muddy?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well I'll add my thoughts and probably muddy the waters more.

My truck was one of the many that did not have the filters installed at the factory -- it's part of an option package now, isn't it?

Anyway, at 15k I decided to "replace" mine.

At 35k I replaced them again. The ones I took out were fairly dirty and had some large objects (an insect or two, a small leaf or two, etc.).

Now, I'd have to go and stick my head under the dash to confirm it, but I think that the filters are on the "outside" of the blower motor. That is, the blower motor sucks air through the filters rather than pushing it through them. So, the filters would protect the blower motor from some of those "large" objects. On the negative side, if the motor has to pull air through the filters, it has to work harder (especially as the filter clog up). So, which is easier/harder on the blower motor? I have no clue. But, FWIW, I've decided I'm going to change my filters every 20k or so.

Oh, I've noticed no difference between the first 15k miles w/o filters and the remaining 25k with as far as "air quality" goes. Not surprising since the windows are open so much of the year; dust gets in the upholstery and everywhere else then.

Finally, there was a thread (I think on this forum) that talked about saving some money by keeping the filter frame and replacing the filter material with material cut from a house filter. I don't know whether that is a good or bad idea, but I do know that the filters I bought (from Nissan) did not lend themseleves to that kind of modification.

How's that for muddy?
I'll help clear the muddy water, so to speak. Using the filter helps to keep the evaporator coil and fins clean. (heater core too) This is where moisture and heat are boiled off to keep you nice and cool in your truck cab. I've seen a million evaporators with lint, dirt, leaves, bugs, molds, algae, etc on these coils. I look at it this way, it's cheap insurance, and keeps your A/C system working more efficiently longer. You don't have to buy the filters from the dealer, I've seen some good deals on ebay and they were OEM. Also the filter traps pollens and other good stuff so you don't have to breathe them in when you have the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Ill shop around and see what I can find. I know our van has one, but hey are easy to get at, so I keep blowing them out with an air compressor to make them last longer. I usally get 2 years out of it compared to 1

Makes sense what everyone says, and for the cost its nice to know its doing what its supposed to do

·
Registered
737 Posts
so we have one that says dont bother and another that says get it. But if Ive gone without it for 2.5 years what it hurting not having it. Besides the fact more money will be in my wallet
I did not say "don't bother", I gave you the answer to your original post titled "Microfilter needed?"

If you want to spend the money then go for it. Do I use them? Yes. Do I think they help? Yes.

Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not say "don't bother", I gave you the answer to your original post titled "Microfilter needed?"

If you want to spend the money then go for it. Do I use them? Yes. Do I think they help? Yes.

Z

Ok, thanks. I think I will get one after I price around, Hate for something to happen to save a few bucks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok, thanks. I think I will get one after I price around, Hate for something to happen to save a few bucks
I went and bought replacement filters today. Got them at Advance Auto for sixteen dollars and change. They are Purolator Breathe Easy cabin air filters, part# C25764. Everywhere else I looked the average price was around twenty five dollars. I forgot to mention this is for a "06" 4cyl Frontier.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and bought replacement filters today. Got them at Advance Auto for sixteen dollars and change. They are Purolator Breathe Easy cabin air filters, part# C25764. Everywhere else I looked the average price was around twenty five dollars. I forgot to mention this is for a "06" 4cyl Frontier.
Ill see what I can find. Thanks for the tips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts