Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new tires on my car last week, and afterwards my car pulled a little to the left. (Note: before tire change the alignment was perfect) I took my car to a nearby shop to have the alignment done and my oil changed. $116 later I have synthetic in the car and my alignment is MUCH worse. The guy tells me that he got the alignment as straight as possible but that my lower tie bars are shot, meaning my alignment won't be right until I pay him $255 to replace them.

I went back there today to talk to someone else about my tie bars. Oddly enough, as soon as I walked in the door the guy behind the counter knew what I was there for. Mind you, this guy was not there yesterday. When I told him that my alignment was fine a week ago, he said that the urethane bushings can wear out "from one day to another". This sounds like a load to me, how about you guys? Is there any way to check my bushings? I looked at them today and they felt really solid, but I don't have a brand new Spec V to compare them to.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
I'd get a few other opinions, sounds like crap to me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it to two other shops today and both said they are fine. I'm going back to one tomorrow to get the alignment done right. Then I'm going back to Muffler Man to get my money back.

btw, chimmike, i should be moving up to tallahassee in may. maybe i'll see you around somewhere :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Crimson said:
I took it to two other shops today and both said they are fine. I'm going back to one tomorrow to get the alignment done right. Then I'm going back to Muffler Man to get my money back.

btw, chimmike, i should be moving up to tallahassee in may. maybe i'll see you around somewhere :)
Hey. If you don't know if your problem is
a.) mechanic talking out of his ass
b.) toe out of adjustment
c.) the new tires...

Remember what side you were pulling to. Jack the car up in your driveway. swap the front tires, left to right. Put them back on and take it for a ride. If the side of the pull has changed it is your new tires. If it's the same it's your alighment/tie rods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hydrolock said:
Hey. If you don't know if your problem is
a.) mechanic talking out of his ass
b.) toe out of adjustment
c.) the new tires...

Remember what side you were pulling to. Jack the car up in your driveway. swap the front tires, left to right. Put them back on and take it for a ride. If the side of the pull has changed it is your new tires. If it's the same it's your alighment/tie rods.
I should've tried that, never crossed my mind. I got it aligned last night and it's great. The guys showed me the computer while they had the car hooked up to it and the left wheel was toed out 17 degrees! I don't remember if I said this here before or not, but I was having to hold the wheel a little past 1 o'clock to get the car to go straight. No wonder. I took the drawing of the computer screen (their printer wasn't working) and my receipt for the new alignment up to Muffler Man a little while ago and the manager is going to call me when he comes in Monday. I'm betting his first comment is about my tie rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts