Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out crusin on Sat. night and I run into a bright yellow VW Corrado running full intake/exhaust along w/ some misc. crap that I couldn't make out (at least if the stickers were accurate). I pulled up beside him and we came to a red light. Unfortunately, the light turned green before we fully stopped and he was about 1/4 car ahead of me. We both gun it and we pretty much dead even until low 3rd gear and I started to slowly pull ahead. We ran out of road and came to another red light. This time we could line up correctly and we both gunned it. Both of us got great launches and we were once again dead even until we maxed out 2nd. I quickly shifted into 3rd and started to make some serious gain. We cut it off at about 60mph w/ me about a car length ahead.

I was thinking of trying to track down a Corrado before I decided on my 200SX, I'm pretty happy w/ my decision. :D

G

·
The VW Corrado , either a love it or hate it VW . I personally love it . Factory-supercharged , was called the " Poor man's Porsche " . :D Don't be suprised if you get spanked .

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds like a early G60 Corrado (supercharged 1.8L).

I raced a 95+ Golf GTI VR6 (with an intake) from a 40mph roll, and by 105mph when we shut down he was 2.5 cars out in front.........and a Corrado is a hair lighter (and more aerodynamic) than a Golf. And I have similar mods to you...........

Still...nice job...G60's are NO slouches.

I think a SLC (VR6) is just too much for a Sentra SE-R without cams and ECU at least (in adition to I/H/E).

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never really understood why they supercharged the Corrado, you would think a turbo would be a hell of a lot more benefical. Is there some logical reason for this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you have a 96 se-r and you got serious gain in 3rd gear you were well beyond 60mph. 2nd gear ends at 60mph. just for your info....

assuming you redlined it of course...which i dont see why you wouldnt when racing

·
Registered
99 Posts
ser140hp said:
if you have a 96 se-r and you got serious gain in 3rd gear you were well beyond 60mph. 2nd gear ends at 60mph. just for your info....

assuming you redlined it of course...which i dont see why you wouldnt when racing
after reading this, i will now throw out the little smilie face with the BS flag waving, im too lazy to get the link though so it's the thought that counts.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
:bs: This is for you RB26DETT

I have a GA16 and i dont shift from 2nd to 3rd until about 60 mph. if you cut the race at 60, it would mean either you shifted before redline into 3rd gear or right when you shifted into 3rd you eased off. But you said you had serious gain in 3rd gear so im assuming you were in 3rd gear before 60 or so mph.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shifted at about 7000rpm each time. 60mph was just a guess, I really don't pay much attention to mph when racing, focused much more on the tach (I have redlined as a result of not pay close enough attention). Regardless of the mph, I cut it off a couple of seconds after I shifted into 3rd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
zeno said:
I shifted at about 7000rpm each time. 60mph was just a guess, I really don't pay much attention to mph when racing, focused much more on the tach (I have redlined as a result of not pay close enough attention). Regardless of the mph, I cut it off a couple of seconds after I shifted into 3rd.
so you were doing faster than sixty wen you stopped. Anyways, you say, "I have redlined as a result of not pay close enough attention", do you mean hit the rev-limiter? if so, yeah, you should shift right before then. I'm not sure what the rev-limiter (aka: fuel-cut) is set at stock for you but unfortuanately for me it's at 6800 rpm. all the mods that i have done to my engine have changed the power band towards the top-end hp side of the situation. I am still trying to figure out some way to hard wire my ecu to eliminate the rev-limiter, rather than shelling out the cheese for an aftermarket ECU. i just want to be able to go to 7200 or 7500ish, that's all. i know there is more power up there. Stock i have 140hp @ 6200 and 145 tq @ 3200, but now im guessing 160hp @ 6800(maybe more if i could get some more rev's) I know the top end(head) of the F22a6 can handle the high rpm, but i am a little iffy about the bottom end, especiallly with 203,000 miles. I don't burn a drop of oil though, or leak any! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
getting power at higher rpms is not just a matter of revving higher. theres lots of variables involved. can your cams handle it? can the valve springs handle it for that matter...? even the simple fact that youre only making 140 horse stock plays into it. i doubt the engine could even handle higher rpms at 200k miles. the other reasons youre car is making peak power at lower rpms is beause the whole induction system is simply set up that way. my altima runs out of breath at 5500 even though i redline at 6250. my intake manifold simply is not made for the high revs... you can figure out how to cut out the rev limiter, but i doubt seriously it will do anything major for you.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
You really have to do research on your car before you try to up the redline. The redline on the car is there for a reason, if the car could safely go up to 7500rpm don't you think Honda would have made the redline at 7500? If it gave free power then they could put the rev limiter at 7500 instead and advertise that the accord had more power and it wouldn't cost them a thing. You have to check your rods and valve springs mainly, among other things....especially if your car has over 200k miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts